taking care of small children post-op

Susan M.
on 1/5/14 3:03 pm

I have 2 two year olds and a 5 year old, my husband took off 2 weeks and the office closed for one week during holidays (thank goodness), we're also paying my sister to come help this week so I had 2 weeks off (almost completely) one week half off and this week I want to work on getting to the pool and making sure i've got a pattern.

I'm endlessly grateful for the fact that i've been able to have that time for myself.  I am *not* allowed to pick up any of my children for 3 more weeks (I can, and I have cheated a few times, it doesn't hurt anymore, but I am not supposed to).  

I would say you need one week for only you, no kids.  Then one week with (at least) some serious help. Then it depends on the person.  Could I have done with only 2 weeks? Yes, but I know my healing would have slowed and also, perhaps, my protein/fluid intake.

I can't imagine being turned away for having children either (it also shocked me), but My husband and I decided using savings and being broke was worth making sure everything went the best it could (especially since the operation is free).

Before the operation I washed/dried/folded everything in the house and made zip lock bags with outfits and PJs for 2-3 weeks (was able to re-wash and re-pack after operation while off duty from kids to help make my first weeks solo easier too.  I also planned and prepared over a months worth of food for the kids/husband (he doesn't cook), so I would only have to worry about what *I* have to eat.

It's worked out ok.

(deactivated member)
on 1/6/14 12:05 am

thank you all for replies. I have a 3 and 5 year old. They are pretty self-sufficient, so there is just lifting the youngest to the crib and out as he climbs into the feeding chair and the car seat by himself.

I really hope that we can manage as I hate asking for help although I have my bases covered for the absolute necessity if it does come up ;)

Most Active