Gallbladder Removal before WLS?

mommy2eee
on 1/4/14 1:31 pm - Burlington, Canada

In my recent newbie post someone mentioned that as part of the normal testing...I would have to have my gallbladder out if it wasn't already...now luckily my gallbladder is out but I have never heard this as part of a regular pre-op part of WLS (perhaps a one off for someone experiencing issues). Any thoughts?  Does having my gallbladder out already affect WLS in any way?

Delicious_Delilah
on 1/4/14 1:53 pm - Ottawa, Canada

No, you don't have to have it removed before surgery. They'll only remove it after you have issues with it. And as many have issues post-surgery with gallbladder, consider it a bonus that yours is already out. There won't be an issues with that from a surgery perspective. 

DD

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/4/14 10:34 pm - Windsor, Canada

When you lose weight rapidly, it is very common for people to develop gallstones.  So anyone that already has a gallbladder who seems to be inflammed will get it removed to prevent this later on.  It's pretty rare but it happens. In the states, many facilities just take it all regardless as a preventative measure.

7.5 years out and I still have mine. Never had a problem.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Most Active