2014 Trans-Canada Challenge! Get Motivated and Get Moving!

kellybelly333
on 12/31/13 3:09 am - Toronto, Canada

Hello all. As it doesn't look like we have a challenge set yet for the New Year, i'm basically copying what was started awhile back. I've copied and pasted from the early Trans Canada Challenge post. We will start on Monday. Not the first, because I didn't get my butt in gear. But I need time to gather teams, and figure all this out. So here we go.

This is a challenge to help motivate you to move. I will be asking that each of you send me your weekly kilometres by Sunday night/Monday morning (don't include any of Monday's mileage though).

You can measure your mileage any way you like, whether it be from your FitBit, or whichever pedometer you have. My Fitbit measures in miles, so I will just convert it. If you have a smart phone, there are all sorts of pedometer apps, and interactive maps like Map My Fitness that will tell you your mileage.

* The route is the TransCanada Trail. There is a great website with an interactive map so you can track your progress.

* As the length of the trail is 23,000 Km a team approach would be best. I am hoping to get at least three teams put together. As more people join in they will be added to one of the three existing teams to aid in reaching our goal of completing 23,000 Km in one year.

* Anyone can join in at any time. If someone neglects to post results for more than three weeks in a row (without prior notification) they will be removed from the challenge. If they wish to rejoin, they most certainly can but may possibly be assigned to a different team - depending on which team is in need of members.

* I think challenges are more fun when there are rewards involved. I will be holding several mini challenges/goals throughout the year with prizes. I will take donations for prizes, if we want to go that route. I, of course, will be ineligible to win these prizes but will be delighted to dole out little incentives.

* There are no fees or dues to be a part of this challenge!

* Please consider posting pics of your activities so others can see how much fun we're having and, hopefully, get more people to join in.

*Any activity that propels you forward counts toward your tally. These include, but aren't limited to: walking, running, rowing, canoeing, kayaking, swimming, treadmill, stair climbing, roller blading, roller skating, cross country skiing, snowshoeing, biking, etc. Please feel free to add others I may have forgotten. Activity of all kinds are healthy but we will NOT be giving distance credit for things like dance classes, weight training, judo, curling... you get the drift. Don't stop doing them. They're still doing your body good. When I was doing spinning classes during this challenge last year, I measured out the cadence, and lowered the kms a bit (25km for a 45 minute class...I could average 35 km, but it wasn't ever certain, and I didn't have a tool to keep measuring every time).

* As certain activities (ex:biking) allow us to cover greater distances in shorter periods of time, I will try to make the teams as evenly weighted (LOL) as possible. Please indicate beside your name your main activity and how much you feel you can comfortably commit to per week.

* All teams need names. I will leave it up to each team to come up with a fun name. Discuss amongst yourselves.

*The challenge will begin on January 6 and will run until December 31, 2014 (not quite a year, I realize)

* I will post weekly updates and would appreciate it if all members could get their weekly tallies to me by Sunday evening so I can post the results on Mondays. If you're late submitting, just hold on to the numbers and we'll add it to the following weeks' tally.

Please email me at [email protected]

Let's get MOVING!!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Monica M.
on 12/31/13 3:22 am - Penetanguishene, Canada

i am SO in!!!! will email you.

kellybelly333
on 12/31/13 3:55 am - Toronto, Canada

You go GIRL!! I knew you would!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Laurie C.
on 12/31/13 4:07 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

Kelly

I am totally in, really missed this.  Thanks for taking over.

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

Katiebear291
on 12/31/13 4:41 am - Canada
RNY on 12/10/13

sounds like fun but i am such a commitment-phobe.  Think i will join once i am a little more mobile.

RNY  - December 10 2013 Dr Lindsay Toronto's Saint Joseph Hospital Toronto

Patm
on 12/31/13 5:38 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Thanks for doing this Kelly. I really need something to keep me moving. as they say as you get older you don't use it you lose it! Count me in.

kellybelly333
on 1/1/14 10:35 pm - Toronto, Canada

Awesome. Just need your kilometres you anticipate on doing per week.

Patm
on 1/1/14 11:32 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

This is hard. I have been using my bike but the computer on it that showed mileage died. So I guess for now i will just put in walking. So for now I will say 35 kilo. If I get the computer fixed I will let you know the extra

highlandbear
on 12/31/13 5:55 am - Canada

I am in. With training for around the Bay and my swimming I should be able to help a team out.

kellybelly333
on 1/1/14 10:36 pm - Toronto, Canada

Any idea on how much (ish) you will do each week?

Most Active