Protein Powder???

Cottagenanny
on 12/23/13 2:05 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 02/03/14

What type of protein powder are most buying, what one tastes better and reasonable cost??  Any to really stay away from because they are "gross".  lol    What vitamins are you buying for after surgery??  Trying to get things ready, my surgery is in February.

Thanks for any input.

Cottagenanny.  :)

Orientation March 13, 2013 / Social Worker June 11 / Nurse Practitioner July 10 / Nutrition class, Blood, ECG Aug. 20 / Surgeon Consult - Dr. Penner Sept. 20 / CT Scan Oct. 10 / Surgeon Consult - Dr. Urbach Oct. 18 / Psychologist Oct. 30 / Nutritionist Oct. 30 / Dr. Urbach Dec. 13 / PAATS Jan. 24 / Surgery February 3, 2014    

dragongirl_76
on 12/23/13 2:14 am

your medical team will tell you what vits you need but i think most everyone takes a multi, and some calcium citrate. it was recommended for me to take a prenatal vitamin.

some of us also have to take iron supplements.

you can get the calcium in a liquid form (walmart or shoppers)  for right after surgery but it tastes gross. i prefer the pills myself.

i am also on prescription vit D.

as for protein powders.....it really varies depending on taste. lots of us like the ready to drink called Premier available for purchase from Costco. there is only choc and vanilla (that i am aware of). comes in a case of 18 for $25.

costco also sells a powder called Kaizen that is very good for post-ops. it's around $42 for a giant tub.

whatever kind you get needs to be low in carbs and sugar and between 20-40g of protein per serving.

Catw
on 12/23/13 4:02 am - Arnprior, Canada

In one of your sessions they'll go over which vitamins you will need.  The basics are 2 multi vitimins, B12, Calcium and Vit D.  You will need a multi that is high in iron.  Even with that, you may end up taking extra iron as well.  Chewables are best at first.  Or you'll end up crushing them (doesn't taste good).  Calcium should be calcium citrate, but when you first get out the Jamison soft chews are fine.

As for protein powders, it is purely personal preference.  And how well you tolerate milk after surgery.  I don't tolerate it well at all, so I have to go towards the ones that are more like juice.  I use a Webber mango/peach.  I have also used a 4EverFit brand that is strawberry/kiwi (don't go there unless you like that flavor) but they did have other flavors around.  Don't think that the guy was really interested in serving me that day.

If you are shopping, make sure you get something for gas (i.e. gas-x strips) and make sure you have MOM on hand.  Just a couple tips.

Cathy

LittleMiss2013
on 12/23/13 7:32 am - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

I survive strictly on the Unflavored protein powder I buy at the Bulk Barn =) I just add 1/4 cup to 1 cup low fat milk....then you can add whatever you want to flavor it. For the longest time I was doing 1/2 a banana. Now I'm trying the Davinci syrups, but they are very sweet. I also LOVE the chocolate protein powder at the Bulk Barn, but I only use that one once in awhile when I feel like a treat....add 1 tsp peanut butter (or PB2 to keep the calories low) and half a banana it is delish! =) Will put the links below for ya just in case =)

Unflavored - http://www.bulkbarn.ca/en-ca/product/health-food/whey-protei n-isolate-90.html?search=protein+powder

Chocolate - http://www.bulkbarn.ca/en-ca/product/other/chocolate-whey-pr otein-isolate.html?search=protein+powder

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Nerak
on 12/23/13 9:11 am - Canada

Hi, I would like to know if you find the unflavoured protein powder has a taste? I know it says unflavoured but does it add a taste anyway? Is it unpleasant? So far, I can't tolerate any protein supplement. I would appreciate your input. LIke you, I really dislike really sweet things. 

Karen

Surgery date is Oct. 17th, 2013 in Ottawa. I was referred to the clinic in September 2012. The person performing my surgery is Dr Amy Neville. 

LittleMiss2013
on 12/23/13 9:33 am - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

Yes it has a taste for sure.....I don't LOVE it without something to flavor it. I could do it....but not happily, lol. It's not a super strong taste...but you KNOW something is in your milk and it ain't chocolate, lol. However.....I haven't liked any other protein powder I have tried and many are too sweet. This one is not sweet at all, and the slight flavor it does have is easily masked by adding anything...a strawberry, 1/2 banana, pineapple, whatever you like. Once you do THAT, then all you can taste is pretty much whatever you added. The other great thing about the bulk barn protein is you can buy as much or as little as you want because it's sold in bulk. So you can go in and spend $3 get enough for a shake...try it....and if you hate it...you didn't waste a ton of $$. I do think you will like it though....just because it's SO customizable. I have never been one to add it to my food. I THOUGHT I would be, but it turned out way easier (and yummier) to just drink it =)

kimber291
on 12/24/13 6:20 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

Hi there,

How much protein is in your 1/4cup?

Kim 

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

LittleMiss2013
on 12/24/13 9:47 am - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

31 grams of protein for the Unflavored protein powder  and 25 grams for the Chocolate protein powder =)

minou09
on 12/23/13 8:04 am - Canada
RNY on 12/10/13

I really like the isoflex peach chiller.$42 for a large tub of it.  You can get it at the Good Health store.  I tried the Kaizen from costco but tired of it quickly.

Good luck!

Referral: June 2012, Orientation: Feb 2013,Meet Surgeon: April 2013; Meet SW, RD, RN May 2013; Meet Surgeon again Aug 2013, Surgery Dec 10, 2013

(deactivated member)
on 12/23/13 8:37 am

peach chiller?  wow -- sounds yummy!  does it taste like fruit juice?  i wish they had trial sizes of this stuff.  would suck to drop $30 on something i only have once.  :(

Most Active