9 Month Post-op Report

LilyBugsMommy
on 12/16/13 9:33 pm - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

I was 9 months post-op, by date, on Dec. 12/13. Today I am exactly 40 weeks post-op. Yesterday I had my 9 month follow-up appointment in Ottawa. I am down 98.4 lbs as of today!

Everything is great! They are happy with my loss to date. I met with the behaviourist and dietician. The behaviourist asked all the usual questions about how everything is going. He seemed happy with what I am doing and how I am handling things in my life. I let him know that I have been seeing a behaviour therapist through my family doctor for some mood swing issues. He did mention to make sure that I am waiting 30 minutes after drinking before eating. I always wait 30 minutes after eating before drinking, but, sometimes lately, I wasn't waiting the full 30 minutes after drinking before eating. He talked again about how my weight loss will start slowing down and I will start having stalls, etc. I hope that I am mentally prepared for that :)

The dietician and I discussed my episodes of pain that may or may not be gallbladder related. Basically, it is a wait and see situation. If it keeps happening, they may have to do further investigations. However, we did discuss the possibility that it may have just been food that got stuck. She said, and I agree, at least in my situation, that when people start getting further out from surgery, they start easing up on the rules a bit. For me, I know that I have been eating faster lately and that could be what happened to me. So, I am making a conscious effort to slow my eating down and keep an eye on the situation! If I continue to have episodes, I will let them know and see what happens from there.

I don't have to see either of them now until my 2 year anniversary, however, they did say I can call them or set up an appointment to see them anytime I feel that I need extra support.

Overall, I was very happy with the appointments.

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

franky13
on 12/16/13 9:38 pm

Wonderful news! Keep up the good work!

Referred September 2012, HHRH Orientation December 2012, Meet with surgeon January 2013, Meet with and testing with Dr Glazer May 2013, PATTS July 4, 2013 - 325lbs, Surgery HRRH August 1st, 2013 - 299lbs, second surgery late August 2nd to drain fluid, Discharged August 5th - 294lbs, reached 1/2 way to goal at 16 wks, MOM of three kids, married for 13 years :)

Patm
on 12/16/13 10:21 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

That is great. When you near goal or are at goal you might want to see them again. I found trying to adjust by myself very hard. Probably should have gone in for help.

Dar_Mab
on 12/16/13 10:30 pm - Kitchener, ON, Canada
RNY on 03/08/13

Awesome news!      Happy to hear things are progressing well.

I just have one question.... I g3t why it is important to wait at least 30 minutes after eating to drink.   Seems very logical.    However can people explain to me why we have to wait 30 minutes AFTER drinking to eat???   Since fluid basically goes through us, I don't get the need to wait after drinking.

HW: 305   SW: 272  CW: 155  Height: 5'4"

Needanewbeginning
on 12/16/13 10:54 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

One of the dietician's I saw recently said its mire important to not drink after meals then before meals. She said as long as I stick to the 30 minutes after meal rule drinking right up to your meal is ok.

Crazy... Never get one straight answer. no

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

LilyBugsMommy
on 12/16/13 11:46 pm - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

He basically said that there will still be some fluid in our pouch so that may hinder how much we can eat and then you may want/need to eat more, sooner because you will get hungry faster because you didn't eat as much as you would have, had you waited the 30 minutes after drinking. I would think that the fluid would go right through us too, but, maybe it doesn't? Or maybe not all of it?? It's not a big deal to me, I was just getting a bit lazy with a couple of the rules and I do want to be successful and he said that doing this is one of the things that make people successful over the long term.

There is so much mixed info out there. To me, this isn't a big deal, so, I will stick with the 30 minutes after rule. But, it can be so hard hearing all the different info, especially if you don't agree with your centre!

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Needanewbeginning
on 12/16/13 10:52 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

WTG, you have done fantastic! 

Thanks for sharing your journey.

Annette angry

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Hennagirliegirl
on 12/17/13 12:41 am - Canada

great job! I so enjoy reading all of the wonderful stories here. keeps me motivated and looking forward to the big picture. As well, to be mindful of all of the issues that can arise.

You mist be dancing on cloud 9 .

Terri

Test

stickyvicki
on 12/17/13 1:02 am

Interesting.  My surgeon told me I didn't need to follow the "no drinking 30 minutes before eating" rule.  But to wait at least 5 minutes between drinking then eating.

Zizzler
on 12/17/13 8:58 am

Yay!  So glad to hear you are doing so well - you are getting close to the century club eh?  Keep up the good work :0)

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

Most Active