Two week liquid phase after surgery?

CBarnes11
on 12/15/13 10:31 pm - Port Hope, Canada
RNY on 12/19/13

My surgery is this week so on the weekend I was trying to get things ready at home for when I get home. 

I have a couple of questions about the liquid phase

Oatmeal is allowed, are "scotch oats" ok?  I bought some at the bulk barn and now I'm questioning if that was the right kind to buy.

Then I went to the grocery store and I must have spent 20 minutes standing in the yogurt isle trying to figure out what I was supposed to buy.

I know it should be low or fat free, but does it have to be plain?  It should also be Greek too correct? Higher protein count.

Please help.

Surgery Scheduled for December 19, 2013.  MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ME!

minou09
on 12/15/13 10:47 pm - Canada
RNY on 12/10/13

I am in the middle of the 2 week full fluids right now.  I don't know about the scotch oats.  I used rolled oats and cream of wheat.  I actually tried the cream of wheat in hospital and liked it much better than the oatmeal.  For the yogurt, I couldn't eat plan yogurt but I found that if it was greek stirred fat free fruit yogurt, I tolerated it okay.  Good Luck.

Referral: June 2012, Orientation: Feb 2013,Meet Surgeon: April 2013; Meet SW, RD, RN May 2013; Meet Surgeon again Aug 2013, Surgery Dec 10, 2013

Patm
on 12/15/13 11:20 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Silhouette makes a fat free low sugar greek yogurt.  It comes in small serving sizes which would be great for just after surgery. Usually I buy the plain and add to it. This way I have 0% fat and 5 or below grams of sugar. Otherwise it has too much sugar.The scotch oats should be fine. There are just another kind of oatmeal.

CBarnes11
on 12/16/13 12:00 am - Port Hope, Canada
RNY on 12/19/13

What are you adding to it?  We can't do fruit or anything yet right?

Patm
on 12/16/13 12:10 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

You can add pureed fruit. More protein powder. Torani or other syrups.

Hennagirliegirl
on 12/16/13 12:12 am - Canada

The oats should be fine as long as they aren't steel cut...that would be too coarse at this stage. I also bought oat bran cereal (it's a hot cereal made by quaker) it has 4 grams of fibre and 5 grams of protein per 1/3 cup, I really enjoyed it.

As far as yogurt goes, everyone has different "likes" I asked this same question at this stage, got great answers and finally settled on what I love....

Yoplait Source Greek Yogurt.....the multipaks come with flavours such as raspberry,strawberry,blueberry...which you should stay away from at this point. However, there are 4 packs and 8 packs of vanilla, lemon, cherry (the cherry chunks are big enough to miss) 50  calories, no sugar, and I believe 8 grams of protein.

Good luck!

Terri

Test

CBarnes11
on 12/16/13 12:18 am - Port Hope, Canada
RNY on 12/19/13

Thanks for this.

I think I am over thinking everything, but for some reason I was under the impression that it had to be plain (not flavoured at all) and that is what keep standing there like a dope in the yogurt aisle forever.

mispysmom
on 12/16/13 12:30 am - elliot lake, Canada
dont worry, thts normal i.am sure we have all.had moments like tht lol i happened to run.into a friend of mine at our no frills, she is having suregry this friday, and was staring at the jello doing the same thing :) so i took her around the aisles and helped her pick out a few items, good luck!

Amanda

Catw
on 12/16/13 12:56 am - Arnprior, Canada

Try the scotch oats, make it thin, and let it sit.  I make my oatmeal 1/3 c oats to 1 c water.  Then let it sit until it's cool enough to eat, for me it's a good consistancy.

As for yogurt, jus****ch the sugar content.  Greek is best.  If you are adding anything to it that you haven't tried, check the label.  It may be "sugar free" but high in sugar alcohols which can still cause problems.  If you find you have a hard time with Greek yogurt, either the taste or the thickness of it, you can mix regular low fat low sugar yogurt in with it.  It would lower the protein content per volume, but it does thin it out. So if you wanted to get plain fat free Greek, you could mix it with low fat yogurt for a sweeter flavor.  If you get plain Greek Yogurt, you could always add savory flavors.  I'll sometimes use Greek Yogurt to make dips with (adding onion soup mix).  Or you can get other dip mixes.  May not have anything to dip into it now, but that can be used later.

By the way, don't go by what you like today, that will change next week.

Cathy

Most Active