Medications day of surgery.

CBarnes11
on 12/16/13 10:35 pm - Port Hope, Canada
RNY on 12/19/13

I went for my pre-op testing on Friday and I got some conflicting information. 

The physician that I met with told me to take all of my regular medications the day of.  Then the anesthesiologist told me to take my blood pressure meds, but not my cymbalta.  Cymbalta is an antidepressant, you can't just go off it cold turkey.  I'm worried if I don't take it that day, by the time I come out of surgery I will be experiencing the brain sparks and discomfort of having missed a dose. 

What would you do?

Surgery Scheduled for December 19, 2013.  MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ME!

Needanewbeginning
on 12/16/13 10:46 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

I was told to take them all including my antidepressants. However, after surgery Dr Glazer, my internist had them hold my Wellbutrin and a few of my blood pressure meds til I was discharged which wasn't til 6 days post op. I was not impressed and insisted on taking them and finally got the Dr to agree that withdrawing from these type of medications so suddenly is not recommended. 

Speak with your Dr. I hate to go against any Dr, my brother in law is an anesthesiologist and he also was surprised to hear my internist changed my meds especially my antidepressant. 

Good luck with your surgery, your new life starts soon. Yay!

Annette

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

BeckyJ58
on 12/16/13 11:27 pm - Cobourg, Canada

Hi Cindy, give your surgeon a call.  Better be safe than sorry...The time is near!  All the best

Becky

Hennagirliegirl
on 12/17/13 12:38 am - Canada

here's an easy peasy solution. Take you cymbalta to the hospital with you and ask the anaesthetist that morning ( chances are it won't be the same one that interviewed you at your PATT) ask that morning, they will either say yey or nay. 

You would still be able to habe it opst op later that day regardless.

There ya go, problem solved! You've got more exciting things to think about...like all the NSV's coming your way soon!

Terri

Test

smallisland
on 12/18/13 1:02 am - Canada
VSG on 10/30/13

I received the same conflicting information.  My surgeon and internist to me to take them all but the anesthesiologist told me to only take my thyroid and anti seizure meds.  I ended up following the surgeon and internist suggestion.  I would call your surgeon to double check it is ok.

Referral Feb 2012, Orientation at Guelph Nov. 29/12, RN, SW and NUT Feb. 13/12, 2nd RN, SW and NUT April 26/13, Dr. Agarwal May 7/13, SW May 22/13. HW 334lbs, CW 269 lbs. Post-op nutrition course August 1/13, Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Sept 9/13, PATTS Oct 9/13, Opti Oct 16/13, Surgery Oct 30/13.

Most Active