To Member Services:....re Freelance Writer

birdiegirl
on 12/14/13 1:36 am

Dear Member Services

You have posted a locked topic re if any OH members wish to discuss some issues of WLS with a journalist.

Have you vetted this person?.......the fact that you have posted this intimates that you approve of this

This journalist may be excellent ( I have no knowledge of Alison Mutluk and no personal axe to grind)....but how do we know this person or their true purpose?

Why wouldn't they just join OH and ask the members openly ....instead of going thru member services which to me indicates approval....

LittleMiss2013
on 12/14/13 2:17 am - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

I don't know the answer to your question but I do believe that someone else openly requested people to contact them if they were interested in sharing their stories with her because she was thinking of writing a book, and I believe the person *****quested this got banned for a couple of weeks for doing so. I'm not going to name names, but I'm guessing since this was what happened to her that it must be against the "rules" or something.

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Anastasia_Marie
on 12/14/13 8:11 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 11/20/13

The kingston support group has dealt with her. You can google her and read her other articles that she has written. She did the correct thing by going through members services. She contacted the people who run the site and provided the information. Sure she could have just went snooping around and reading everyones information and publish an article based on it. but she did not.

gwynnkitty
on 12/14/13 11:45 am - North York, Canada

I have met with Alison on MANY occasions now, and she is absolutely wonderful. Very professional, and an absolute joy. 

Referral to Surgeon: February 12, 2013 Appointment with Surgeon: April 24, 2013 Endoscopy: April 30, 2013 Referral sent to Bariatric Registry: May 2, 2013 Orientation Appointment: May 27, 2013 Dr Klein Appointment: June 6, 2013 Second Upper GI Series: June 11 Dr Glazer: August 12, 2013 RN/RD/SW: August 29. 2013 Follow-up With Dr Klein: September 23, 2013 Start Opti: October 23, 2013 Surgery Date: November 14, 2013 

birdiegirl
on 12/14/13 9:10 pm

OK...that's good to hear.....

There is something about this whole thing I still don't like......however thats just me......I guess I also don't like articles written anecdotally and not scientifically.......and so many people believe all that is published in  the paper - even if only supported by opinion.....so what will be written might be biased one way or another by the size of the study group....or by the writer themselves

gwynnkitty
on 12/15/13 11:09 am - North York, Canada

What gives you the impression this will be written "anecdotally and not scientifically"? Alison has written many articles, all surrounding voluntary medical procedures - and they're both backed with science research as well as from the point of view of the people who have gone through the experiences.

There's nothing at ALL sketchy or weird about this. In fact, I'm quite pleased to be working with her, as I think the more open and honest people are about the procedure, the less of a taboo topic it becomes.

Referral to Surgeon: February 12, 2013 Appointment with Surgeon: April 24, 2013 Endoscopy: April 30, 2013 Referral sent to Bariatric Registry: May 2, 2013 Orientation Appointment: May 27, 2013 Dr Klein Appointment: June 6, 2013 Second Upper GI Series: June 11 Dr Glazer: August 12, 2013 RN/RD/SW: August 29. 2013 Follow-up With Dr Klein: September 23, 2013 Start Opti: October 23, 2013 Surgery Date: November 14, 2013 

birdiegirl
on 12/15/13 8:27 pm, edited 12/15/13 8:42 pm

I am happy for you that you are pleased to be working with her........my objections have nothing to do with not being open and honest....but are procedural.....

I was not intending to get into a big diatribe re this....however my concerns would relate to methodology - is it going to be a critical, constructive analysis ......through summary, classification, analysis and comparison....and I realize that is a mouthful...lol

I guess I am a cautious person....and usually want to know motives and the bottom line....and for me, that would be conspicuously evident  with members of the media

EDITED to add - she is writing about  "macronutrient deficiencies - malabsorption and absorbing pharmaceuticals etc.......this is a serious subject ....and in my opinion only - is for scientific study....and not for a sampling of experiences in an anecdotal  participation

I repeat though, that my main objection is that Member Services locked the topic....I dont understand why......why not be able to question this post?

Most Active