Can I do This???

Cottagenanny
on 12/12/13 12:21 pm - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 02/03/14

I have my surgeon appointment tomorrow with Dr. Urbach in TWH at 9am, They told me I have to see the nurse, the doctor, the nurse again and then I give them my credit card info so they will order the optifast. But I am so nervous my stomach aches.  I've had a hard time sleeping the last few nights, my mind is on overload - all I keep thinking is - is this right for me, can I do this, what if don't get in my proper meals, what if I get sick afterwards and have to go back in the hospital - my income will suffer and I could put my family in crisis??? Did anyone else have these fears, am I over thinking this too much.

A nervous Nelly.  

Orientation March 13, 2013 / Social Worker June 11 / Nurse Practitioner July 10 / Nutrition class, Blood, ECG Aug. 20 / Surgeon Consult - Dr. Penner Sept. 20 / CT Scan Oct. 10 / Surgeon Consult - Dr. Urbach Oct. 18 / Psychologist Oct. 30 / Nutritionist Oct. 30 / Dr. Urbach Dec. 13 / PAATS Jan. 24 / Surgery February 3, 2014    

Philippa
on 12/12/13 2:39 pm - Brampton, Canada
RNY on 04/02/14

You're not alone I have the same fears every day...my surgery date is February 4 and every single day I go through the same thoughts as yourself. But then I do think about my kids and want so badly to be here for them for years to come, so I've come to realize that I need to take care of myself first in order for me to be able to be around to take care of them later. I fall to my faith to get me through these thoughts and do a lot of research to understand what I'm doing is right. It's only natural to feel the way you do, you're only human, just remember this is to improve your health not to hinder it.

Cottagenanny
on 12/13/13 2:12 pm - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 02/03/14

Hello Philippa,    Our surgeries are only 1 day apart maybe we can talk to each other - I'll be in Toronto Western, what hospital will you be in?

Orientation March 13, 2013 / Social Worker June 11 / Nurse Practitioner July 10 / Nutrition class, Blood, ECG Aug. 20 / Surgeon Consult - Dr. Penner Sept. 20 / CT Scan Oct. 10 / Surgeon Consult - Dr. Urbach Oct. 18 / Psychologist Oct. 30 / Nutritionist Oct. 30 / Dr. Urbach Dec. 13 / PAATS Jan. 24 / Surgery February 3, 2014    

Philippa
on 12/13/13 11:17 pm - Brampton, Canada
RNY on 04/02/14

Hi Nelly,

I'm so glade your appointments went well. All my appointments were at TWH but my

surgery is at Toronto East. We most definitely 

can talk! All will be great with you!

email me at [email protected]

we'll arrange something.

Philippa

alysan
on 12/12/13 7:51 pm - Canada

Oh My Goodness!!!! Yes, Yes and more Yes. 

I have my appt on Tuesday with the surgeon and I keep thinking to myself, am I doing the right thing.  Is this the best recourse for my situation?  and the answer is Yes.

Without this surgery I probably will only live a couple more years at best.  So I am doing what needs to be done.  And I take it you probably are within the vicinity of the same boat I am on. 

Go with your gut!!!!

Referral: Feb. 14, 2013; Orientation: May 16, 2013: 1st RN/NUT/SW appt: May 28, 2013; 2nd RN/NUT/SW appt: July 31, 2013; Dr. Agarwal (internist): Aug. 6, 2013; Post Op Class: Nov. 25 2013; Dr. Reed: Dec. 17, 2013; Surgery: February 13,2014

Leanne1
on 12/12/13 9:13 pm - Newmarket, Canada

I had those thoughts too!! For a brief moment!

I realized after thinking back on my whole life, that I was always struggling with my weight. doing the yo-yo diets, trying to lose weight, did exercise programs many times with little to no results. Practically starved myself sometimes cuz I thought I was eating too much. You name it, I likely did it! Many of us do what we can to lose and it just doesn't happen.

Then, I thought, I'm young, I have my whole life ahead of me still!! I need to do this for me! And not just for me BUT my family! 

It's a different kind of struggle these days BUT I would NEEEEVVVERRRRRR turn back the clock and be obese again!! EVER!! If I had to make this choice again, I would! For my health, for me, for my family and the friends I loved dearly! 

Good luck at your appt today. You are in great hands with Dr Urbach :)

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

Catw
on 12/12/13 10:27 pm - Arnprior, Canada

It's normal, I had the same fears before surgery too.  One thing to remember, is that you aren't doing this alone.  You have your clinic's support, friends support, and you'll have support from us here.  The only thing to remember is that to get the support you need, you have to ask for it.  You'll do fine,

As for being a nervous Nelly, that's OK.  This is a big change and it's OK to be nervous about change, any change.  But you can get through this, and you can do this.

Cathy

Patm
on 12/12/13 10:41 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Only you know if you can do this. Look at why you are doing it. Are you willing to make the lifestyle changes needed. You talk about putting your family in crisis. There are so many health problems associated with obseity. Any one of them could put your family in crisis.

Dr Urbach is a little illusive but I have had no issues since surgery.

Good luck

Sunny123
on 12/13/13 12:24 am
RNY on 12/05/13

It really is up to you. No one can tell you what is best, only you know.

It is normal to be anxious? Yes. II doubt there is one person on here who didn't have at least one twinge of oh my gosh.

I can you one week out that I feel great. I can see changes already. I smiled at myself in the mirror this morning for the first time in a very very very long time.

Good luck!

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

Amarachi
on 12/13/13 2:02 am - Canada

I had this very same question and i posted it only a few days ago, i was completely doubting my decision, i received lots of good advice like you.  I had to sleep on it and discuss with my husband once again and he reassured me that as much as i like to be in control, my life i have no control over, i do however have control over my weight and i have decided to take my health back into my hands and do my part, God will take care of the rest.

Only you can decide and you will come to a decision that will suit you, i wish you peace in your decision.

J

Orientation HRRH Oct 21,13 / Surgeon Nov 1,13 / SW,RD,RN, Internist Dec 3,13 / PATTS Jan 14,14 / Surgery Jan 20,14

Most Active