recommended post-op recovery time ?

kayakgirl
on 12/15/13 4:16 am - Canada

I'm just about three weeks out and I was supposed to return this week. I've had back trouble since the surgery and feel that I wouldn't have the stamina yet given the type of work I do. BUT, some people do much better...

Initial referral: March 21, 2013; Orientation: April 26, 2013 (OWMC); Nurse Practitioner: July 10, 2013; Nut/Beh: July 15, 2013; Pre-op Class: September 18, 2013; Internist: September 18, 2013; Surgeon: October 1, 2013; Surgery: November 25, 2013 (Dr. Yelle)

newpossibilities
on 12/15/13 4:56 am - Oakville, Canada
RNY on 11/19/13
I am self employed so i understand your concerns. I also have no sick time, ei, vacation or any paid time off. I went into surgery on a Tuesday and was back to work the following Monday. I did prepare some food beforehand so meal prep was easier.Also, I ddidn't book anything heavy for the first week out (just incase) but would have been ok to work a regular week. I work as a consultant so I don't do anything physical for my job beyond travel to client sites. Wishing you an uneventful surgery!

Referral Mar 1, 2013 Orientation Apr 17, NP May 2, SW May 6, Nut May 6, Dietitian June 6, Psych June 18, meet surgeon July 5, PATTS Oct 8, Surgery Nov 19th

PepperBB
on 12/15/13 5:12 am - Canada

Have you spoken with your employer about time off. I know you do not have the benefits, but this surgery is not minor? Like they keep saying to is, just cause the outside looks okay, does not mean the inside is healed. 

I was off for 4 weeks, and as said above, I would get really tired out and it was not till at least the 2nd week that the soreness went away fully. 

I was at TWH this week and they say that your insides take a few months to heal. I believe the 4-6 weeks in the literature is probably the average. 

Katie H.

Referral January 2013 - Orientation at TWH March 4  -  Social Worker May 27 - Nurse Practitioner July 11 - Nutrition Class August 26 - Dietitian September 4 - Psychologist September 4, Meeting with Surgeon September 13 - Surgery October 28

Hennagirliegirl
on 12/15/13 5:14 am - Canada

I went back to work after 2 weeks, I was tired and had to be sure to get sleep and have food organized. I also do 12 hour shifts. I had no pain post op so that wasn't an issue at all. just fatigue.

Everyone is so different based on age, weight, any complications, pre existing conditons etc....

Terri

Test

Leanne1
on 12/15/13 8:08 am - Newmarket, Canada

I took off 8 weeks. I am a cleaner in a hospital. Lots of heavy lifting, bending, and whatnot. I utilized my EI time.

I have co-workers that had RNYs too and they went back after after 3/4 weeks. They both said their surgeon wouldn't budge for their time off but they also said they both wished they had of pushed for it. They said the felt unprepared foodwise and were extremely exhausted, even left work and couldn't finish their shifts for the first week of being back.

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

(deactivated member)
on 12/15/13 8:22 am

I am a consultant, so my work day is car-desk-car, no more than 6 hours a day. But then I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old to pick up and entertain. I do pick up my 2 year old from his crib and put him back. That's the only lifting i really do since my back surgery anyway, the rest he climbs himself. Is that still too much ? He is around 30 lb

Delicious_Delilah
on 12/16/13 1:03 am - Ottawa, Canada

I'm surprised no one replied.  But yes, 30 lbs is too much to pick up after surgery.  You risk getting a hernia and doing all sorts of damage to yourself.  You must talk these things over with the surgeon!

(deactivated member)
on 12/16/13 2:06 am

Thanks for reply, I will be very careful in that case. I guess it's time to switch the crip for the toddler bed :)

Most Active