recommended post-op recovery time ?

(deactivated member)
on 12/15/13 1:58 am

I was wondering what is the suggested standard and the reasoning behind it. I am on contract, so no sick days or EI sick benefits. All I would able to afford is probably 1 week :(

Laurie C.
on 12/15/13 2:00 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

A lot depends on what you work at, do you have to lift? sit, carry and on and on.

I think you would really have to do your homework to go back after one week, meals made ahead, etc.

but WE CAN DO anything we put our minds to.

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

(deactivated member)
on 12/15/13 2:05 am

thanks for reply. Is there are no complications, are you actually mobile and some what functional, aside for the nausea and pain ?

Laurie C.
on 12/15/13 2:09 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

I didn't have any nausea but I did move pretty slow for a couple of weeks.  You have to remember also tho that I was 55, not a young chickeeboo by any means.  There are people on this board who have returned to work very early but I certainly needed more than I week off.

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

(deactivated member)
on 12/15/13 2:11 am

thank you Laurie. I went through back surgery and a couple of months with quite limited abilities, so I really hope that I would be able to handle this

Sunny123
on 12/15/13 2:12 am
RNY on 12/05/13

I planned two weeks off - I am self employed. I felt good so I went in for a few hours last week.

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

(deactivated member)
on 12/15/13 2:18 am

that's good to hear, Sunny :)

mispysmom
on 12/15/13 2:25 am - elliot lake, Canada
i was thru sanit joes toronto with dr. lindsay...he put me.off for 6 weeks, the.first two weeks i tired out fast, i didnt have much pain, and.had stoped the pain meds when i left the hospital, u should talk with ur doctor about it and explain ur concerns, i.am not sure why u wouldnt have ei sick.benefits tho unless u dont pay taxes on ur contract? good luck with everything!!

Amanda

LilyBugsMommy
on 12/15/13 2:32 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

I have a desk job with little to no lifting of anything heavy.

I had two minor complications (major bowel issues & incision infection). I do see people who post on this site saying they don't feel like they had surgery at all & feel great, but, that wasn't me. Between the constipation issues, which required a visit to my local ER for relief, & the infection, I was just exhausted & worn out. 

I had planned for the standard 4 weeks off & ended up taking off an extra week. I felt that I needed the time to get my head wrapped around my new eating/vitamin schedule & I really just didn't feel very good until around 4 weeks post-op.

I had one person from the clinic explain the surgery like this: it is like having quadruple bypass surgery but it's on your stomach, not your heart. They said some people don't realize the seriousness of the surgery because it is just 4-6 little holes. But, they are re-arranging & cutting things in there. It is major surgery & you should plan appropriately for it & for the unexpected as well.

Not trying to be doom & gloom. I just know if I was asking I would want to hear all types of responses, not just the ones that went really smoothly.

Good luck with everything! It is totally worth it :)

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

(deactivated member)
on 12/15/13 2:36 am

thanks for an honest response. I am good with straight up, no sugar on top :)

Most Active