Mississauga Marathon Subway 2K Walk/Run

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/13 1:04 pm

Well ...

I suggested to my son that we participate in the 2K run at the Misissauga Marathon this May.  He hesitated and said he didn't want to.  He is self-concious about his running -- he has been a bit delayed in his coordination while growing up.  he is now 11 and has really come a long way.

me empowering him to participate with me is as much as me empowering myself.  i want us to do this.  

i am going to sign us up this week.  I will place the emphasis on the 'walk' part of things.  but i realy think this will be good for us.

this surgery wasn't only about my health, but it was about modelling health to my son.  i want him to grow up with more than apple crumble and doritos.  this is a good 75% of why i signed up for this surgery.

just wanted to share.

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/13 2:12 pm

I think its great that you want to do this, but being a mother myself I would never make my child participate in something that she is not interested in doing. 

My decision to have WLS was for me and I will not force any member of my family to do something because I chose to. 

You however can control that he eats different items other than apple crumble and doritos...

This is all just my opinion 

highlandbear
on 12/14/13 2:21 pm - Canada

I think it is a wonderful idea even if you both just walk it. It will be good for both of you to do it together and maybe he might enjoy it. If he does not like it than just don't push him to do it again. Kids need to be encourage to do thinngs.

Gillyc
on 12/14/13 3:03 pm
DS on 12/17/13

You could also make him Walk with you once a week to help you train, and let him opt out of the marathon this time.  Maybe he'd have even more confidence and *want* to join in next time instead of hesitating?

(deactivated member)
on 12/15/13 10:45 am

yes -- that is the plan.  it is all about building confidence.  we don't have to run -- we can walk as well -- which is the beauty of the 2k!  

Jackie McGee
on 12/15/13 7:41 am - PA

My father "encouraged" me to exercise, too - when really all he was doing was trying to make me less fat and embarrassing to him.

If your son says no to this event, which is probably because he's embarrassed to be seen as fat by other people, talk to him and see what he would be comfortable doing. Maybe a nice bike ride around your familiar neighborhood, a walk a few times around the mall, or home exercise equipment in the privacy of your own home would be more appropriate.

Encouragement comes in many forms, but it should never include something mom has made mandatory that he flat out objects to.

In my experience, it made me hide what I was doing from my father and caused other problems I had to deal with when I grew up.

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

(deactivated member)
on 12/15/13 8:17 am

rofl -- what interesting responses!

did i say that my son was fat?  i did say he had delayed leg coordination - but i never said he was fat!

my comment re. apple crumble and doritos was actually refering to the things i use to eat -- and what i had in the house as an option for him.  my comment was suggesting that i want to share with him more than just apple crumble and doritos.  sharing with him the outdoors and fitness are even more beneficial.  

and yes,  i think we all need encouragement to do things.  wow --  such interesting feedback from you all!!  rofl.  the plight of posting on an open forum i suppose!

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 12/15/13 10:32 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

illinois Gama D.
on 12/15/13 10:40 am

ditto & sand!!!

Rny 2003

come join the new R&R 3.0, where the fun is:)

saterry
on 12/15/13 10:45 am - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

oh snap !!

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8

Most Active