Three months later

4-Jane
on 12/13/13 2:11 pm, edited 12/13/13 2:14 pm - Canada

Question 

my blood work shows that my protein levels are higher now than pre op so what's up with the hair loss?

at what point were others eating one cup per meal? I am no where near that much, but the nut feels my calorie intake is too low and believes I will become ill and not be able to get well quote 

I am drinking 13 to 15 cups of water per day and my skins is becoming very dry any ideas, if I drink much more it will interfere with eating?,  I am still caffeine free, but enjoy hot milk or herbal teas occasionally 

i used Voltaire on my finger when I was not able to close my hand due to pain, only once but my arthritis seems to be worse ps blood work also showed something about current inflammation 

It is way to cold too walk outdoors here feels like 38 below with windchill factor only 30 below with no wind, one of the coldest Decembers I can ever remember

my iron levels are dropping but they did not recommend iron supplements but changed my one a day to a maternity one due to the higher iron levels .... Should I start to supplement iron at this point? Or wait, worried about the comments made buy the nnutritionist

also my loss has been slow but it is going down and for that I am pleased

Respectfully Jane
Megan M.
on 12/13/13 6:41 pm - Canada

The hair loss isn't just about protein, it's more from the shock to the system.  You've had anesthetic, surgery, significant changes in your body, and this is the result.  Once your body adjusts, it will stop.  I started shedding around 3 months and it continued for about 6 months.

At 3 months, I think I was nowhere near eating a cup of food.  Perhaps half a cup, can't really remember.  But I know for sure I couldn't eat a full cup, especially if it was meat and veggies.  Soft things like soup and cream of wheat, I could handle more.  Now, over 2 years out, I still can only handle about a cup of dense food.  Sometimes I push that limit because I am not smart enough to put my fork down, and I really feel it.

it is always best to follow your instructions.  If they haven't given you an additional iron supplement, don't take one.  You are monitored often enough that they will up your meds if it is required.  

Be happy with your slow loss, because it sucks when it stops!  I stopped at 100 lbs, and nothing I do will shake another pound off. I would like to lose another 25, so slow would be great just so long as it's down.  It sounds like you are doing well, so keep doing what you are instructed to do and everything should work out.  Congrats.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

4-Jane
on 12/13/13 7:06 pm - Canada

A fellow Thunder Bay folk it's so darn cold Megan it's crazy, I still read most days so I have plenty of opportunity to read posts of  those that are losing more and faster.  It's hard not to notice, I tend to dance with the same pounds so some days I'm up and then down the next then back up. I would like to pm you regarding a support group question in Thunder Bay ... Stay warm

Respectfully Jane
birdiegirl
on 12/13/13 6:49 pm, edited 12/13/13 6:52 pm

Hi Jane

I am no medical proffessional......but I do find sometimes the clinic's wait until there is an actual deficiency before taking action....I have always pushed them on this as I would rather avoid then recover from a deficiency

Did you get a copy of your blood work?....I have all of mine so I can see trends.....my pcp now works well with me on this and listens to me as she knows I follow and research too

So - depends how low you are?.....maybe you might speak to your personal Dr re this......

Dry skin.....I think its the lack of oil your diet rather then the water.......do you eat salads?....maybe try to incorporate one a day and add some good quality REAL dressing to it with olive oil....plus the cold isn't going to help your skin.....I should have taken stock in a lotion company as I use so much every day after my shower....

Hair....regardless of your protein intake....your hair is going to fall out and personally I don't think there is anything you can do....some will lose more then others....I likely lost 25% of my hair month 3 - 9...and then it grew back in the same amount as before....I think its more the low calories in general and the shocks to your system.....try not to worry about it....I think for many of us our hair was the "one thing" that was good on our obese bodies.....and to lose it is difficult as it was our shield to the world....

Its good you are following your levels so closely....so important to keep on things........if you do end up taking iron supplements.....see OKNEES blog.....separate from calcium by at least 2 hours ....I take ferramax at night

You are doing great Jane....keep it up

4-Jane
on 12/13/13 7:20 pm - Canada

Thanks Barb, I will call the center back and ask for a copy of my blood work, my protein levels are okay but just okay and I have never been a good meat eater so I want to avoid the low iron as it will be harder for me to raise than for those that eat red meat, or like meat.  I ate my first salade tonight but do not like dressings but I could try adding olive oil direct to my skin and adds some while cooking maybe, I had not thought about healthy fats or oils so thanks for the idea.  

Respectfully Jane
slrm2m2
on 12/14/13 1:07 am - Canada
IMO, start iron supplementz now. Hair loss will get worse before it gets better, grin and bear it for next several months. Dry skin isn't due to low fluids....rather low fat diet. Add flax, chia, other heaalthy fats as your pouch allows. A cup for me was at about a year out.
Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

4-Jane
on 12/14/13 7:21 am - Canada

Thanks Sandy I even have chia seeds , flax and hemp hearts just had not thought to eat them yet, and the iron I am thinking it would be better for me to be taking them now vs trying to play catch up later I have the kind Barb suggested but also have the kind the iron expert mentioned in barbs post recommended awhile back.  I would not usually go and do my own thing here but most people like eating meat it really is a challenge for me so I do not want to be in a spot were I feel forced .  I will also try to get more spinach in me as well

Respectfully Jane
Most Active