ACID ISSUES AFTER OATMEAL??

(deactivated member)
on 12/7/13 4:28 am

has anyone had any acid issues due to eating OATMEAL?

Leanne1
on 12/7/13 9:22 am - Newmarket, Canada

nope...  are you adding anything to it?

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

(deactivated member)
on 12/7/13 10:38 am

it is the quaker instant oatmeal maple/brown sugar - high protein variety.  

kimber291
on 12/7/13 10:49 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

I didn't think we were supposed to eat the instant flavoured packets. 

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

Katie M.
on 12/7/13 10:52 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

The book from TWH says as long as it's under 9 or 10 grams of sugar (can't remember which) then it's ok, and most of the Quaker instant oatmeals are just under the limit.

But it could be the sugar causing issues for you Picantesun?

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

(deactivated member)
on 12/7/13 12:21 pm, edited 12/7/13 12:21 pm - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

If you can I think I would try making your own oatmeal. I use a combo of large flake oatmeal and steel cut oats. I add a handful of raisins, some vanilla and cinnamon and cook it. You can make it up in the evening. Then I put the cooled oatmeal into plastic containers and in the morning just scoop out a portion and microwave. I use Splenda or SF vanilla flavoured Torani or DaVinci syrup to sweeten my oatmeal.  Using less processed oatmeal and steel cut oats will give you more fibre and make it a more complex carb which will help stay with you longer. For more protein you can stir in a spoonful of protein powder  if you like.

As for the acid reflux, if it is a problem have you doctor give you a prescription for more prevacid.  Best of luck.

(deactivated member)
on 12/7/13 9:39 pm

thanks for this, Debra!  I am really getting in to home-cooking since surgery.  I am scared about a bad reaction from some bizarre additive. I will never eat Quaker Oatmeal again ... to be honest, I am going to avoid Oatmeal completely now.  

I have been having issues with carbs leading up to the surgery -- obviously that doesn't seem to have change post-surgery either.  

Thanks --

(deactivated member)
on 12/8/13 1:33 am, edited 12/8/13 1:34 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

I spoke to my "NUT" about oatmeal and she said even though it is high carb, it is a good carb and full of nutrients. Also having it in the morning gives your body a chance to work it off especially as I have mine before I go to the gym in the morning.  Don't up give up on it just try to eat clean, by erasing as many processed food from you diet as possible.  I like making my own because I know what is in it. Namely less sugar and no salt. Love that cinnamon.

Good Luck. 

(deactivated member)
on 12/8/13 6:59 am

i am actually feeling a lot better today -- jut had mashed potats and meatloaf (all homemade) and so far so good.

thank you for the feedback re. oatmeal.  i haven't read anything about it in any of my documentation, but i have heard many people on here say they eat it so i thought it was ok.

i look forward to the feedback i get from the centre tomorrow.  thanks again :)

Most Active