Iron...

Allaryanna
on 12/12/12 10:46 pm - Belleville, Canada
RNY on 02/09/12

I know this has been asked to death but can someone advise the amount and type of iron supplement to take?  

Have noticed during my monthly time I am getting knocked on my backside.

Thanks

Diana

Referral: January 2010     Orientation: Dec 2010      1st Appt's : April 26/2011       Surgery : Feb 9 / 2012      

Starting Weight:  265   Surgeons Goal : 187lbs    Personal Goal: 150lbs 

Kory !
on 12/12/12 11:20 pm

I was iron anemic, I started off taking Proferrin but didn't notice a big change, then I started taking Feramax and now my iron is on the rise.  That along with eating alot of cream of wheat (made with water) as calcium/soy milk block the absorption of iron. And other iron rich foods.

Allaryanna
on 12/12/12 11:42 pm - Belleville, Canada
RNY on 02/09/12

In what dosage?

Referral: January 2010     Orientation: Dec 2010      1st Appt's : April 26/2011       Surgery : Feb 9 / 2012      

Starting Weight:  265   Surgeons Goal : 187lbs    Personal Goal: 150lbs 

tbtilalaf
on 12/13/12 1:45 am

Ya like the above answer said don't take calcium and iron together, space them well apart, if you don't than you won't get the iron at all.  My surgeon gave me a prescription for iron it is Ferrous Gluconate 300 mg they are green and round, not sure if that is the same as the one above or not, If not I may try the one above because I have doubled my dosage and am still tired a lot....I don't do my first real blood tests until dec. 27th when I go get the paper to go get them done. Apt for the clinic is on Jan 16h in guelph and I can't wait to find out the results! I hate being tired.  I was anemic before surgery and now well I still am, unless it 's something else, I am going to up the water and see if that helps....yes

100 tables at Costco are about 4.99 or something like that. (they are behind the counter where i go so you have to ask if you want to buy them there).

Melissa!

Surgery was July 19 2012, and I am doing great!! Only one regret....wish I did this years ago!!!!

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CENTURY CLUB!

(deactivated member)
on 12/13/12 2:00 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

My iron sat was low and my doc told me to get iron supplements.  We discussed the various kinds like iron salts, polysacchride iron and heme iron.  He told me not to bother with the iron salts as most of it end ups being excreted in the stool.  He told me to pick between the heme and the polysacchride.  I chose Feramax as that is the one that Oknee recommends and within a few weeks my levels were right back up.  I took one tablet per day and the dosage is 150 mg.  I got mine at Rexall for the same price as at Costco. They are not cheap but worked well and no stomach upset or constipation or having to worry about when I took them.  Was $59.99 for 100 pills.  I'm not off iron and will have my iron retested and if it tanks again then back on them I go.

Kory !
on 12/13/12 2:14 am

I take 2 Feramax a day, 1 in the morning around 7am and then 1 in the evening.  It's 150mg of elemental iron which is much more than proferrin can give you and there aren't really any side effects that I have noticed.  I was really worried about constipation but with the healthy eating and water consumption it's all moving regularly :) .  Also if you drink tea I would stop because that also stops any iron absorption.  I buy my pills at costco I believe they are $52.99 for 100 pills.

mermaidz
on 12/13/12 3:18 am - Brampton, Canada

Although we don't absorb much iron through our foods, don't forget to use that as part of boosting up your iron. Leafy green veggies (spinach etc) will help too

Good luck

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

Ottawa34
on 12/14/12 1:30 pm - Ottawa, Canada

It depends on your needs.  Since before surgery I've been taking almost 1000 mg of iron a day with a Vit C to help with absorption.  I take Ferrous Gluconate and I buy mine in the US - bottle of 300 tabs for 9.00$. 

I've always been low on Iron, but even after surgery almost 2 yrs out, I'm still on the same iron regimen and I always make sure to get a meat protein to boost iron intake.

Good luck.

Amy

Amy   
Submission for surgery -  October 2009            Info session - Jan 2010 
Nut & RN & behaviourist appt - Sept 2010          Follow up NUT appt - Jan 2011
Surg
eon appt - Jan 2011                                     RNY - March 4th, 2011 

Most Active
Recent Topics