Referrals a go! Military requires me to see a internist first? Anyone else need this extra step?

Armyguy1976
on 7/5/12 3:04 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 09/10/13
 Happy to report by mo aka gP has finally agreed to send my referal online via baritric registry. She was still under the impression she had to fax the referal directly to the hospital so my referal has been in limbo the past few weeks.

The military requires me to have a Internist appointment first though . Anyone know what this appointment Is for? I am confused as my mo or GP has already approved. Y referal 

Referal Feb 2011, Orientation Dec 5 2012, Nurse Prac Jan 8th 2013, Dietitian Jan 9th 2013, Social worker Jan 10th 2013, Ultra sound Jan 20th 2013, CT scan Feb 4th 2013, Scope Feb 5th 2013 .... Surgeons apoint June 12 2013, Pre Op Class June 26 2013, PATTS Aug 20 2013, RNY surgery Sept 10th 2013

350Ann180
on 7/5/12 3:14 am - St. Williams, Canada
VSG on 05/02/12
 Not sure why - they may have some concerns about other things.  I had an internist appt as well - I have a heart issue.  Wasn't a big deal at all - he covered other things like birth control, regular medications and went over my sleep study results.  He is also the one who gave me the pre op prescriptions.

Good Luck!

Ann

DebColCam
on 7/5/12 3:28 am - Canada
Glad you got your referral through. My NP did it the old way via fax and it took 2 months to get processed ! Glad things are moving along for you!
Btrue2u
on 7/5/12 3:38 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 08/20/12
That is great that things are moving along

20AUG12-8AM SURGERY AT ST.JOES IN TORONTO  W/ DR SMITH                        

ToNewBeginnings
on 7/5/12 4:33 am
Yes, had one also. 

I assumed it's to make sure you don't have any internal issues going on?

wants2Bfitagain
on 7/5/12 4:42 am
My GP made me go see an internest as well, she was very hesitant on sending my referral through so she said if I go see an internest first and she thought I was fine than she would send my referral through, and my doc was old school too she still thought everyone went to the states still, I think they are sending you there first cause they dont understand the process just like my doc
JJ_
on 7/5/12 4:54 am
The internist I met with was at the Ottawa hospital - Dr. Wicklum.

Judy
Gabygee
on 7/5/12 5:49 am - Canada
Definitely a good idea to have them include an internist as part of the team working on you.

While the surgeon concentrates on the actual procedure,
and the dietician concentrates on your (adequate) intake,
and the social worker concentrates on ensuring any special accommodations needs are met (eg wheelchairs etc),
and the psychiatrist concentrates on your mental preparedness,

the internist monitors the rest of your body to ensure your heart or lungs or thyroid or spleen or brain all play nicely with each other while all that other indignity is being done to your innards.

I loved my internist (Dr Glazer) at HRRH, and he quite literally saved my friend Donna's life.

girlgonewild123
on 7/5/12 9:08 am - Ottawa, Canada
 I too had to see an internist as I didn't complete the heart stress test.  It was fine but yet another hoop to jump through.
Most Active
Recent Topics