Love my RNY.....now that I am not starving all the time.

Allaryanna
on 3/14/12 5:33 pm - Belleville, Canada
RNY on 02/09/12
 So was so excited last week to finally meet the RD & Nurse for my first post op.  This meant I would be moving on to normalish food and getting to chew and would hopefully start feeling less hungry.

Turns out I am one of the unlucky ones and still feel hunger.  This started about 3.5 weeks post surgery.  About 1-2 hours after I finish my small measured, and portioned according to the dietician, meal I am ravenously hungry.  So called the dietician yesterday and she told me to double my meat protein portions at my main meals and add a shake to my day split into 2 portions if I can.

Tried it today so far so good.  and I actually feel full.  

YAY for being odd (not)....

Referral: January 2010     Orientation: Dec 2010      1st Appt's : April 26/2011       Surgery : Feb 9 / 2012      

Starting Weight:  265   Surgeons Goal : 187lbs    Personal Goal: 150lbs 

Monica M.
on 3/14/12 8:32 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
i got hungry pretty early out too, Allaryanna...

happypants
on 3/14/12 9:31 pm - Ottawa, Canada
It didn't take me long to feel hunger after surgery either. I found by having some water (perhaps you are a wee bit dehydrated) or a protein shake help a great deal with this.

I just want to add that just because you feel hungry doesn't mean you have to give in to the feeling and eat. I tried the water thing or protein shake if its between means and if I still truly feel hungry then I eat some cheese, meat, a protein first snack.

Ann

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

Allaryanna
on 3/15/12 8:33 am - Belleville, Canada
RNY on 02/09/12
Good to know Monica.  The people at the WLS support group I went to looked at me like I was nuts when I said I was feeling hunger.

Not sure that the dehydration thing applies I drink 500 ml water between each meal and snack, other than the before bed one.  So about 2l to 2.5 l daily.  And I am still hungry after drinking. I did notice over the last couple of days that my energy level is far better, I may even be less cranky.  Now I won't say I bound around but I am far less tired after doing things.  

I think I don't need quite the full 2 portions of meat.  Now by 2 portions I mean a whole 2 ounces, because I find I am leaving some of my meals behind now.  May cut back to 1.5oz portions to keep things nice and balanced.  Another thing I noticed is my blood sugars seem to be slightly lower during the times I am feeling hungry so this may be triggering the hunger response.  

Di

Referral: January 2010     Orientation: Dec 2010      1st Appt's : April 26/2011       Surgery : Feb 9 / 2012      

Starting Weight:  265   Surgeons Goal : 187lbs    Personal Goal: 150lbs 

Most Active
Recent Topics