First post op App. Went Well...Eggs kicking my butt...

Allaryanna
on 3/9/12 2:47 am - Belleville, Canada
RNY on 02/09/12
 So meet the dietician and Nurse in Guelph they said everything looked good so I could move onto soft foods.  Had already tried a cheese string the night before which was tasty and stayed down.

Mom wanted to go out for dinner so I thought I made a wise choice of Chicken, Rice and steamed veggies.  Figuring I could portion out what I needed and take home the rest.

Well didn't go down well, not sure if it was the rice or the veggies weren't soft enough so took almost the whole thing home.  Good news was I tried an ounce of chicken later and it was fine.  

Weird thing is I tried a small single egg Omlette the next morning with 1/2 a low carb english muffin. Nothing stayed down (I know TMI...but if we can't be honest here where can we be).  Tried the egg alone and to the same effect.  

I know there were some suggestions months back from people on how their eggs needed to be cooked to tolerate them so Any Suggestions?

Good news for me is my 1/2 piece of whole grain bread and Peanut butter worked this mornign so I am not stuck with oatmeal as my only option for breakfast if eggs don't work.

Referral: January 2010     Orientation: Dec 2010      1st Appt's : April 26/2011       Surgery : Feb 9 / 2012      

Starting Weight:  265   Surgeons Goal : 187lbs    Personal Goal: 150lbs 

Karen M.
on 3/9/12 3:20 am - Mississauga, Canada
Eggs can be very tricky post-op. I couldn't eat them at all for about 4.5 years - threw them up everytime.

With respect to your dinner, I would say it was the rice.  You're awfully early out to be eating rice at all.

As for breakfast options - you can eat anything for breakfast! It doesn't have to be tradtional "breakfast food".  Anything protein focused is an excellent choice, whereas bread and peanut butter may not be an optimal selection.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 3/9/12 3:59 am - Canada
Eggs are hit & miss for me at 7m out. I usually have them hardboiled.

Breakfast for me is usually a protein shake but sometimes I crave something savory. I'll have sliced beef in gravy (usually from leftover dinner) when I want a savory breakfast. Works for me

Dianadcr
on 3/9/12 4:26 am - Canada
I'm a few weeks earlier than you. I also am on soft food. I made a Swiss chard frittata and it sat okay with me though just a tad heavy but seem to tolerate eggs not to badly. I have not attempted bread, I'm too scared of them. They and pasta are one of the reasons I got fat. However are foods are coming along. Like Simona, I usually start my day with a premier shake - just to make sure I get enough proteins.
  Diana

Patm
on 3/9/12 4:36 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12
I was told to avoid rice and pasta at first. I find poached eggs stay down. I haven't had much bread just melba toast. I like greek yogurt with fruit and all Bran (for the constant constipation)

SandpaperSandy
on 3/9/12 5:12 am - Kitchener, Canada
after 1 year, I am still not eating eggs !!!

they get me each and every time - I did have one hard boiled egg this week and the fact that it went right through my system with gas like I never had before, means I am still not going to eat eggs.

I have been known to eat chicken or ham for breakfast along with a chunk of cheese and a protein coffee shake for later on.

trial and error and try again, is the way I think of things.  nothing is the same as what it was a week ago, and now I don't expect it to be. 

good luck and just keep trying.
royses1066
on 3/9/12 9:50 am
I agree with the other posters.  Eggs still cause nausea for me 4 months out.  I haven't eaten an egg that sat right since RNY & I LOVED them pre-op, any style.  Same with salmon a previous favourite that I now can't handle.  For breakfast I stick with Greek Yogurt, fruit, milk, or cheese.  Try one after a few months, I may try one at 6 months out & see how it goes.  We have lots of other good protein options for breakfast though!

Karen W.
on 3/9/12 9:53 am - Canada
I do well with soft boiled eggs most of the time, but not always.

I think the best breakfast option is Greek yogurt (the lowest fat version).  Mix it with a bit of Splenda and some soft fruit (berries or canned peaches work well) and it's really yummy, high in protein and low cal.

RNY April 11, 2011       

JJ_
on 3/9/12 5:47 pm
I started out with hard-boiled eggs - mashed with mayonnaise.  Then I tried soft-poached eggs. 

Once those went down well, I moved on to soft scambled eggs.  (Personally I do not like hard scrambled eggs).

Good luck in your trials with food.  Glad to hear that you are doing well otherwise :)

Judy
Most Active
Recent Topics