Back after the hellish weekend and Optifast allergic reaction...

Allaryanna
on 2/5/12 8:21 pm - Belleville, Canada
RNY on 02/09/12
Sorry to hear about everyones ups and downs the last few days.   

So finally settled on just mixing the Chocolate Optifast with Decaf Coffee and Ice and blending it to death.  Makes a nice frosty drink that I can drink from my blender bottle.

Weird thing started happening mid last week.  Whenever I drank a shaked my tongue would get tender, tingly and thick feeling and my throat would get itchy.  Talked to Audrey and I now take a benadryl with each shake.  The reactions have not gone away they are now tolerable and are not getting any worse.  So only 3 more days to go......

My middle child and I had a disagreement on Thursday night regarding her desire to go out drinking with her boyfriend on the weekend at a friends birthday party. She is 17 and thinks I am being unreasonable so decided to leave home.  So on the one hand YAY she was trying to be honest with me,  but she doesn't seem to get that it is not legal for her to drink and I can't just give her permission to do so even if I think she is responsible enough to do so.  But I am not so dumb as to think she doesn't or never has.  She spent a few days at her boyfriends house and decided she liked having her own room and all the conveniences I supply.   Good news is she got accepted to the College Program of her choice and confirmed her acceptance last night!!!!

She's a good kid just a we bit high strung at times...but hey what teenage girl isn't....She is 100% behind me having this surgery as are all 3 of my kids and even makes the best Opti shakes I have ever tasted...

Referral: January 2010     Orientation: Dec 2010      1st Appt's : April 26/2011       Surgery : Feb 9 / 2012      

Starting Weight:  265   Surgeons Goal : 187lbs    Personal Goal: 150lbs 

Kelshy
on 2/5/12 8:32 pm - Cannifton, Canada
 You are close to the end now... life just likes to throw curveballs!

My youngest daughter pushes that envelope all the freakin time, same age as your daughter and also just confirmed her college acceptance a few days ago. Stick to your principles Mom .. some day they might even thank us! 

Chris

ps: I am also in Belleville!

Feb 19 2010 Referral to Ottawa         Nov 24 2010 Orientation at TWH
Jan 25 2011 Nurse                               Feb 16 2011 Social Worker
March 10 2011 Psychiatrist                 April 8 2011 Surgeon
Surgery May 9 2011                             Bowel Obstruction/ internal Hernia Feb 13 2013  

(deactivated member)
on 2/5/12 9:14 pm - Canada
Congrats to both your kids on their college acceptances!

I was never a drinker or wanna-be drinker when I was younger. Alcohol was always around and we were "encouraged" to drink wine. My family's Italian and their idea of a good drink for kids was wine with gingerale mixed in. We had it all the time. I wouldnt recommend it for kids now, but it was interesting to see all my friends fight with their parents about drinking and there it was at my house as easily available as water.
JJ_
on 2/6/12 1:29 am
Wow, that is some reaction to the Optifast.  At least you have been able to deal with it.  Some people have posted previously about not being able to drink it at all and having to drink Ensure or Boost (diabetic) with one meal a day (dinner).

Your time is just about here!!  YAY

Judy
Heregoesnothing66
on 2/6/12 8:27 am - Canada
RNY on 02/23/12
OMG Simona,

I thought I was the only kid who drank wine and gingerale as a kid.  Every year we had to go to my nonnnos house with my dad and go pick up the grapes and then all the cousins would get together to move the crates of grapes into the garage.  Then it was my zio's and nonno in there for the weekend.

We always had alcohol in the house but it was never a big deal.  I remember in high school going to friends houses and they had locked cabinets, I was shocked.   I hardly drink, socially once in a blue moon and never really have, even as a teenager.  None of my cousins or siblings did either.  My dad and my uncles all smoked and none of us did that either.  I thank them for that, the smell made me sick so i never had the idea to try it.  I used to think hanging out with my cousins ALL THE TIME was ridiculous, now I miss them terrribly because I know they were true friends and we all turned out pretty good.
Those were the days.  Thanks for the reminder.
PaulaToronto
on 2/6/12 11:59 am - Toronto, Canada
Be careful after surgery,  I am allergic to aspartame and couldn't do optifast.  I am suprised they kept you on it cuz usually with allergic reactions they get more severe the more you are exposed.  I use Truvia as a sweetner and sucralose is OK. 

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

Most Active
Recent Topics