So the good, the bad and the not so great!!! Kind of long and ranty...

Allaryanna
on 10/26/11 8:48 am - Belleville, Canada
RNY on 02/09/12
 So after much waiting LInda phoned from Guelph I have my Nutrition Class Nov 15th, anyone else going that day???  

That's the good...now to the bad....

So joined the gym 6 weeks ago and go dilligently.  I have been working slowly to increasing various forms of exercise including cardio and weight training.  I thought I was doing fantastic, expected this great weight drop because "stuff" is tightening up.  Step on the scale and I have gained 12 lbs..what the HHEEYYYY!!!!!!!!!

And I've heard all the muscle weighs more than fat stuff, but a lb is a lb is a lb...so my family Doc says sorry, apparently insulin increases weight gain and he has increased my insulin.  The good news here is I stabilized after gaining 12 lbs.  

The not so great news is I am now having sugar lows which is odd for me, and have begun adjusting my rapid insulin to compensate for the increase in my long acting or else I will be snoozing away on highs and lows.  

So doing my diligent semi daily work out a few weeks ago and low and behold after my warm up my entire left leg goes numb and my gluteous maximus and I think minimus and medius start hurting with sharp pains radiating down my leg.  So the Doc says I have sciatica, no more treadmill for me....

So it's off to the eliptical I go...for those who have not tried them this machine was seriously invented as a form of torture!!!!!!!   

So that's my semi rant...the good news being I am attending the nutrition class in Guelph on Nov 15/11, hoping to shed some of my added 12 lbs by then...what happens if I am still up though when they weigh me???

Di

Referral: January 2010     Orientation: Dec 2010      1st Appt's : April 26/2011       Surgery : Feb 9 / 2012      

Starting Weight:  265   Surgeons Goal : 187lbs    Personal Goal: 150lbs 

birdiegirl
on 10/26/11 8:57 am

Hi Di

You sure have had some unfortunate physical stuff....however I have to say...BRAVO...

I am impressed that even with roadblocks - you have continued your exercise...

This habit is so important during and post surgery....the fact that you have begun pre-surgery and have continued bodes well for your future

If you can - try not obsess about the weight ( yeah I did too)....just try to start incorporating healthy eating and be proud of yourself for this...

I never did understand the theory re gaining weight with exercise ( muscle pound VS fat pound)but you will lose quickly after your surgery...and the exercise will assist toning and a sense of well being...

When you are weighed at Guelph - let them know re your insulin plus the exercise.....I gained 14 pounds from my initial weigh-in to the actual surgery.....The surgeon told me not to worry as the optifast and the surgery would take care of it plus plus....and he was right

All the best to you

Barb

ibed
on 10/26/11 9:31 am

congrats on starting these lifestyle changes, it's very hard at first to start but it does get easier when the habit of go kicks in and as the weight comes off.  i can't reply anything about the insulin but i did just learn from some professional workout guy that after you work out your muscles can become inflamed (with water apparently) and you could experience a weight gain.  apparently once your body gets used to these workouts it will flush this water from your muscles.  as for the sciatica nerve - i've had this issue to the max...i feel for you - it's the kind of pain that nothing really helps (i had some sort joint issue and even perkisette wouldn't help.)  find out from your dr if they think a bone cracker would help.  i ended up seeing one for almost two weeks straight and eventually was able to function.  it comes back every now and then but now that i've lost some weight it's no were as bad (something to look forward to..lol)

debi.,

Allaryanna
on 10/27/11 10:47 pm - Belleville, Canada
RNY on 02/09/12
 Thank you both for your encouragement.

It is nice to know there are others who have been in the same situations I am in.  

I just started seeing the chiropractor and am getting xrays done today, hopefully he will be able to "fix" the issue.  Even if it is not a permanent thing, enough relief to begin walking again would be great.  If not there go my dreams of an eventual marathon.

Thanks Again,

Diana

Referral: January 2010     Orientation: Dec 2010      1st Appt's : April 26/2011       Surgery : Feb 9 / 2012      

Starting Weight:  265   Surgeons Goal : 187lbs    Personal Goal: 150lbs 

Most Active
Recent Topics