Feeling kind of down and invisible...

giggles2laugh
on 9/18/11 12:56 am - Ottawa, Canada
I agree with everything that everyone has said here.
At the end of the day, it's always gotta be ABOUT you and FOR you.
Of course having some recognition from the ones we love help, but we can't rely on it because as we can see, it doesn't always happen as planned or wanted, unfortunately.

The one thing that hasn't been mentioned, and may not be the case, but something to consider is. This surgery didn't just happen to you, it also happened to your friends and family.
They know you as you've been and after almost 3 years for me, I've realized, my friends and family just didn't know how to act, react or treat me. They're going through changes too and sometimes they don't get on the same page as us.

As they have to have patience with us, we need to have patience for them.

As an example, my friends have said this to me, "we were afraid if we said "you are looking soooooo good" that you might think we didn't think you looked good before" - see how it affects them as well?! It still happens when I run into people I havent seen since before the surgery, they always say "you look so goood! Not that you didnt before" it makes me giggle now but I can see how its a little awkward for them.

You're doing great and focus on that! Enjoy the ride, the good and the bad cause they always come hand in hand!

Keep smiling.....everyone! :)
Gabygee
on 9/18/11 3:48 am - Canada
I've met your fiance, and he's a sweetheart.
He has really been very supportive - you were just expecting the impossible from him.

He can't help it. He's a guy.

Now, your Dad ... he has earned his stripes. he has learned over decades of experiene that is a minefield to comment on a woman's looks.
He has probably tried the complimenting route, and it got taken wrong.
He has tried to avoid any commentary, only to  be challenged on it.
No matter what he's done, it's been wrong.
So his hard-wrung experience has taught - just ignore it.
It's feelings. That women's stuff.
Ignore it and it'll go away.

Tell your Dad that what you've done was very hard and you did it for your health.
He'll react positively - if he loves his lottle girl, he surely will.

ROSIESMILE
on 9/18/11 4:08 am, edited 9/18/11 4:08 am
Hi,
One word: MEN.
I am down 100lbs; the smallest I have ever been as an adult.
This is the 1st time my Dad mentioned my weight before his gf (and I had not seen him in several months).
Male relatives didn't say a word.... again, I had not seen them in months.
Weight is a touchy subject, many men (and women) don't know how to phrase things without sounding rude.  It doesn't mean they haven't noticed. 

The timing of your 'blue' feelings reminds me of when I was feeling all over the map around that timeline post-op. 

Do things for you and only you.  If you need a visual of your progess: create a chart, or take pics regulary, put weights in your pockets so remind yourself how much lighter you are on your joints.  Feel good about you for you!
Look out for #1: YOU.

Most Active