Dry mouth on optifast...

lovin_life
on 8/6/11 11:29 pm - Canada
Hi Everyone!
I am on day 4 of optifast and it is smooth sailing so far..BUT I have extreme dry mouth!!!! I am drinking 3+ L of water a day aside from my broth and nothing will help. My tongue is looking really yucky too. My throat/ mouth was so dry last night that I couldn't sleep, I was up sipping water ALL night and it never helped. And now because my throat / mouth is so dry, my throat is getting a bit sore and my voice is really raspy. Anyone have any tips?? Is this just a side effect of the optifast?
Thanks for your help!!

Referral sent to Guelph: April 2010        Second app (Nut/ Nurse): Jan. 31st/ 11
Orientation: September 16th, 2010        Surgery information class: May 10th/ 11          
Sleep Study: No sleep apnea                 Surgeon (Dr.Reed): July 19th/ 11     
H-pylori: Negative                                   PATTS: August 12th/ 11
(Nut/SW/Nurse): Dec.9th/10                     Surgery: August 18th/ 11                 
Tanya T.
on 8/7/11 12:01 am
Same thing happened to me and I was drinking a ton of water too.  It does get better I do brush my teeth a lot after every Optifast.  I think it's just a side effect.

Tanya

Megan M.
on 8/7/11 3:06 am - Canada
I wonder if it's a side-effect of the ketosis that we are thrown into from eating so little.  I know that bad breath comes from ketosis.  My mouth felt dry and my teeth always felt fuzzy - I was brushing about 6 times a day.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

Derek C.
on 8/7/11 3:24 am - North Bay , Canada
Everyone is correct - must be a side effect - im day 7 of 21 - brushing teeth lots and chewing lots of gum as well

Surgery Date - AUGUST 22, 2011 - Ran first 5KM Race - Oct 14, 2012 (28 min)  - Currently maintaining a healthy 190 lbs and training for my first half marathon in the summer of 2013

lovin_life
on 8/7/11 4:12 am - Canada
Well I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one..lol..Yeah its really yucky..I too am constantly brushing my teeth..I did some research this morning on Ketosis and they said that people do often complain about a dry mouth so I guess it comes with the territory.. Oh well.. I can deal with a dry mouth for awhile if it means I'm going to be healthier..

Referral sent to Guelph: April 2010        Second app (Nut/ Nurse): Jan. 31st/ 11
Orientation: September 16th, 2010        Surgery information class: May 10th/ 11          
Sleep Study: No sleep apnea                 Surgeon (Dr.Reed): July 19th/ 11     
H-pylori: Negative                                   PATTS: August 12th/ 11
(Nut/SW/Nurse): Dec.9th/10                     Surgery: August 18th/ 11                 
Most Active