Sooo I made my own broth..but...

lovin_life
on 8/5/11 12:10 pm - Canada
Hi Everyone!!
I'm on day 2 of optifast and with the program at Guelph all we are aloud to have is unlimited water, broth, green tea, decaf coffee/tea, crystal light and our 4 optifast shakes a day.. So tonight I decided to make my own broth because the boxed blue menu broth is kinda bland. So I took a roasted chicken carcass (cleaned) and boiled it in a large pot with about 2.5L of water, 5 celery stocks, 5 carrots, an onion, garlic and some low sodium powdered chicken stock...All went well but when I strained it out and served myself a bowl for dinner tonight I noticed that there is fat/ oil floating on the top of it..Is this okay? I don't want to have the fat/oil impact my optifast diet. I tried skimming as much as I could out, I even tried blotting up the oil with a paper towel.. . What should I do? Is it still okay to eat?
Thanks so much for your help!!!

Referral sent to Guelph: April 2010        Second app (Nut/ Nurse): Jan. 31st/ 11
Orientation: September 16th, 2010        Surgery information class: May 10th/ 11          
Sleep Study: No sleep apnea                 Surgeon (Dr.Reed): July 19th/ 11     
H-pylori: Negative                                   PATTS: August 12th/ 11
(Nut/SW/Nurse): Dec.9th/10                     Surgery: August 18th/ 11                 
Linda C.
on 8/5/11 12:27 pm
Put all the broth in the fridge.  Once it has cooled, the fat should sort of solidify on the top and it can be removed.  Then it should be fine.  Sounds yummy.... mind you, to anyone on Optifast anything sounds good.

Linda C.

laura S.
on 8/5/11 2:01 pm, edited 8/6/11 3:55 am - London, Canada
I asked for broth recipes on here and I was told that it would be better to use the pre-made broths or the packaged ones as it is very difficult to ensure that the sodium and fat content is low enough when you make your own.  I'm with you though.  The boxed ones taste awful!  I was told by Tracy to try the Knorr yellow packages, but I haven't found them yet.  To be honest I don't bother with it now anyway.

Best of luck.

flyingwoman
on 8/5/11 3:00 pm
There's a difference between broth and stock. Boiling a carcass makes stock, not broth. I'm not sure if that matters., but I wouldn't chance it.

If you want to kick up the flavour of a premade broth, use spices like chili, cayenne, cumin, pepper, or the provincial greens.
Megan M.
on 8/5/11 6:53 pm - Canada
My husband makes me broth with roasted soup bones, then it goes i the fridge and the solidified fat comes off very easily.  If you're looking for a quickie one, the Knorr gel packs make really delicious broth - only tried the chicken, though.  It was really good compared to the powdered stuff.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

(deactivated member)
on 8/5/11 10:21 pm - Guelph, Canada
 I was soo IMPRESSED with the lil gel Knorr broths.. I normally dont like the pre packaged stuff but this stuff is yummy. I bought them in a pinch a few weeks ago 
Tanya T.
on 8/5/11 11:45 pm
Not sure if anyone uses Epicure Spices but they have a low sodium vegetable, chicken and beef broth.  the sodium is 48% less than regular knorr,brovil, etc.  I just ordered the chicken and beef.

www.epicureselections.com/en/products/food/bouillons-soup-mi xes/

Tanya

Most Active