A Question About Being Denied

pinkjellybean
on 6/29/11 10:28 am - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12
Lisa's post really got me thinking and feeling a little worried. 

I've had four previous surgeries - 2 C-Sections (Lower Incisions), 1 Appendectomy  and 1 Cystectomy (both done the laparoscopic way).......

Do those count as surgeries that could affect my approval for the RNY?  Does it help that they are all lower abdominal surgeries?

SURGERY at Toronto Western Hospital - VSG JANUARY 25th, 2012!!

5'9 - HW - 390 SW - 368.8  GW - 150

Mike Terry
on 6/29/11 10:40 am - Staffa, Canada
  My appendectomy scar is huge, I had to be really opened up because of my size at the time, my heaviest, and I walked around for two days with it ruptured. My surgeon was the coolest, she let me know at my meet with her that she was going in with the intention of doing a RNY but there was a good chance she wouldn't mess with my bowels if it was too bad and would sleeve me. When she took a look at the state of my ventral hernia, along with the scar, she indeed told me moments before the surgery she wasn't messing with a RNY and sleeved me. She also let me know at my initial meet that because of my scar that my surgery would take twice as long to do. Hope everything turns out all right for you and that your surgeon is as cool as mine was regarding this.

gigglesAlot
on 6/29/11 10:51 am
I went through TWH and they prepared me, right from the beginning, that my previous bowel surgery might hinder getting an RNY.  I signed for RNY but was pretty sure that I was going to be coming out of the OR with a VSG. . . . .and I did.  I was just glad that I had received one of the tools.  My worst fear was waking up to nothing at all.

Barb
Out of HEARTACHE . . . . comes JOY!!!    
Referring Weight - 256lbs
Dietician Weight In - 253lbs
Starting Optifast Weight - 250lbs
Surgery Day Weight - 240lbs
Current Weight - 171 lbs

My Angel with Wings. . . and My Earth Angel . . . .is Sandi, who's. . . . . .going2Bthin!! 
pinkjellybean
on 6/29/11 10:53 am - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12
I wouldn't mind coming out with a VSG  : ) 

My biggest worry would be getting nothing done after all this hoping, planning, and waiting.

EmmiePie
on 6/29/11 10:54 am - Kingston, Canada
 I've had one C section and my incision scar is big and vertical.  I don't think they can tell if any scarring will impede the procedure until they get there.  If they have to, they wlll open you up like a present on xmas morning.  Thats what they told me today at my PATT appointment.
Quinns_mommy
on 6/29/11 11:54 am
I had a previous c-section, and it was not an issue since it was very low down. You should be ok assuming there isn't any major scar tissue that would get in the way of doing the WLS. The appendectomy is on your side right? And was the cyst also on your side?

Crossing my fingers that everything will be ok :)

My angels are sam1am and Joyce J. :)  
pinkjellybean
on 6/29/11 12:03 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12

The cysts were on my ovaries - the surgery was when I was 15!

ericaFG
on 6/29/11 12:51 pm - Cambridge, Canada
Personally - I think her surgeon is an idiot.   Maybe one of the ones that had a patient with serious complications out there in Ottawa, and now he/she's scared.

If it were me - I'd be running right back in there and asking for a referral to either an experienced Ontario surgeon or an OOC application.  I certainly wouldn't roll-over about that one. After all - the abdominal surgeries don't make you any less "sick" from obesity, does it?

I'd go in prepared to discuss your options, should you have extensive scaring.  Ask the surgeon if he/she feels up to the challenge and, if not, to refer you to someone who is.

I've seen MANY people on here over the last few years with many previous surgeries, bad co-morbidities, super high BMI, all kinds of "risks".  Very few of them get completely denied.  Sometimes people come out with the sleeve instead of Rny (that's like winning the lottery, in my mind), but it gets done.  I wouldn't be stressed out about it.
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

lexxiblue
on 6/30/11 6:32 am
RNY on 01/11/12
Yea, after reading poor Lisa's post... my worries about being denied could come to a harsh reality!  i too have a wonderful scar... from a c-section 25 years ago, then opened up for a hysterectomy!  so yea... my biggest fear my come true... altho i hear the surgeons in Hamilton are amazing????
guess i'll have to wait n see!
just my 2cents worth!!
lexxiblue
on 6/30/11 6:33 am
RNY on 01/11/12
forgot to mention my scar is vertical as well.. and... most days it looks like i have 2 bums.. when i'm nekkid of course! one in the front one in the back!
Most Active
Recent Topics