Calling All Teachers : )

pinkjellybean
on 6/26/11 11:07 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12
Wednesday is my son's last day of school!  (I can't even believe I'm saying this)  I want to put something together for his teacher as a little gift but I can't decide what.  I want to get a gift that is not going to end up in a junk pile somewhere - something that is really thoughtful.  My 5 year old is working on a homemade card but I'd like to add a little token...just not sure what.  I just think my son's teacher is amazing - he really loves her so much and is so sad not to be in her class next year. 

Any input? 

For Christmas we gave her a little box of Godiva Chocolates with a Chapters Gift Card.....  I was thinking of maybe a Starbucks Gift Card with a little homemade card that says "I like you A LATTE" but is that too cheesy?  It's also the summer - so maybe there is a better idea?

Help  - pretty please?

SURGERY at Toronto Western Hospital - VSG JANUARY 25th, 2012!!

5'9 - HW - 390 SW - 368.8  GW - 150

Karen M.
on 6/26/11 11:13 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Not a teacher but have received MANY gifts from kids and parents -

Gift cards are always nice.  There is a book called, "I Remember My Teacher" which is a collection of sweet stories from people about their favourite teachers.  I bought this for my son's teacher one year and had Jesse write a "I remember Mr. ______ for...." in the front of the book.  The teacher cried, big man and all. LOL  Best gift ever.

I adore your idea of "I like you a LATTE" - soooooooo cute!  lol

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

CdnGal
on 6/26/11 11:49 pm - Canada
I like your idea too- very cute!  As a teacher, it is nice to be appreciated!  When I left on sick leave, my whole class chipped in and bought me flowers for my deck.  It made me cry!  Gift cards are definetly a way to go, you can never go wrong with them!
Karen T.
on 6/27/11 12:20 am - Canada
I love your idea of the homemade card.  I always appreciate a homemade card it just means that you have taken that extra time and effort which means soooo much.  Gift cards are definitely the way to go these days.  I am glad you found an amazing teacher.  :o)

Diminishing Dawn
on 6/27/11 12:32 am - Windsor, Canada
I am always thrilled with any gift card. Tim hortons Starbucks. Subway chapters. Many teachers love wine and if they don't use it it is always good to have on hand for entertaining

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

ericaFG
on 6/27/11 12:35 am - Cambridge, Canada
Agreed.  As a teacher, we often get a ton of cute "knic-knac" stuff from kids - it is nice and all, but one person can only put up so many decorations in their house!  I think most of my xmas decorations are gifts from kids! lol

Gift cards are the best thing if you want to "buy" something.  Especially gift cards for things that can be "used up" (wine ;0), coffee, books, manicures, etc.).  It is particularly nice when the student thinks about things the teacher likes and picks a gift card thoughtfully (e.g. if you bring a Timmies every day - and they get you a reusable cup and gift card etc.). 

But very best is a note written from a student, from the heart.  Something specific that says what it is that was appreciated the most.  With a younger student - they might say things that they like - but you could add things you've noticed that you've most appreciated.  As a teacher - we keep those things to look back on in stressful times - and can even put in a "portfolio" to support job applications or performance appraisals etc.  Something more than the "you're the best!" is the most meaningful.

I'm glad your son found a great teacher this year!
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

(deactivated member)
on 6/27/11 12:55 am - Guelph, Canada
 many teachers I know and work with like gifts that can be used within the classroom... 

staples gift cards
any educational stores.. mastermind or teacher supply stores... 
Michaels

many teachers take maoney out of their own pocket to buy things for the classroom.. coloured pencils, crayons, paper, craft supplies
happypants
on 6/27/11 3:53 am - Ottawa, Canada
My husband is a teacher and he loves getting gift cards. He loves the coffee shop ones or Canadian tire lol or Chapters. Teachers are always spending money out of pocket for their class without submitting the recipes for reimbursement so anytime they can get "something" just for them is nice (IMO).
I would get your son to make a handmade card and slip a gift card in too. The teacher will love the thought. Happy Summer :)

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

Marny B.
on 6/27/11 8:22 am - Canada
I am a teacher and I agree.  Gift cards are wonderful, and handmade cards are the best.  I have 2 little ones in school (same school that I work at).  At the tend of the year, I usually get their teachers a gift card.  At Christmas, I always get them a piece of jewlery from the Bitter Sweet store.  They have a Kiosk at Square One and a storse at Sherway Gardens and Yorkdale.  If this teacher is someone who would appreciate a nice necklace or bracelet, then this is the place to go.  I always find reasonable deals, and they have such cute stuff.  Someone gave me a bracelet from there at the end of my first year teaching, and it just stuck, so I go there every year.  They always wrap their pieces up in super cute gift boxes, and/or bags.  Makes a nice little treat for someone special.

Truthfully, just being remembered and validated for all of her hard work is the most important thing.  whatever you choose, she'll love it.

Referral Sent:  March 19, 2010
Surgery date with Dr. Denis Hong: December 9, 2010

Jennifer D.
on 6/27/11 8:27 am
I'd love a home made card with a crisp $100 in it - lol. For real though, the card wih that Latte sentiment is sweet and if you feel you'd like to give more a gift card would be awesome - love Tim's and Chapters.
Most Active
Recent Topics