The Cost of Being Open.....

charm64
on 6/26/11 7:07 am - Cambridge, Canada
I'm very open about my surgery!.  I have not had many negitive comments. .  I'm sure maybe I will but If its not my immediate family, I don't care.  I know its hard when people say things but as I get older I don't care what people say lol. 
Keep doing what your doing and keep your confidence and they will get the hint.

Char

Char
Dr. Reed
VSG May 24/2011

ericaFG
on 6/26/11 11:12 am - Cambridge, Canada
Ya - it doesn't stop.  I even had someone tell me - when I was at goal and they asked me how I lost all the weight - "That surgery is dangerous you know?!"  I answered "OMG - really!?!?!  I didn't know!!  Dammit - I changed my mind and now it's too late!!"  Stupid.

I think this is another example of that long-standing discrimination against obesity.  When you need bypass surgery - people want you to feel good about the risks - they know it is necessary for your life.  But with obesity, they think "well, if you'd just get off your fat ass and exercise and stop eating like a pig, you could solve this yourself without surgery!!".  Even obese people respond with way and think this sometimes!!  Makes me want to say "DAMN!  Why didn't I think of that?!?!"

I think it has helped me to say "my doctor recommended that I have weight loss surgery".  When I put Dr. in there - it seemed more legit to my friends/co-workers.  
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

Roxy7699
on 6/26/11 3:17 pm
Erica, loved your post. So very true!!!!
Joy D.
on 6/26/11 4:59 pm - Hamilton, Canada
 Hello Pink,

Personally i find ppl Have their own opinions .. if you have the surgery  you may die, 

if you don't have the surgery you may die, depending of what some ppl's health issues are 

now in my  opinion i had many  choices and i opted for the surgery, I personally have had  some ups and downs balled my eyes out had some regrets also have had  some very  happy moments, as well as I'm feeling  so much  better, the way i see it as its my life and i feel i needed to have this surgery in order to get healthy and was well worth the risk i took and in time i know i will over come the lil' issues i have.

by the way I tell the world i have had this surgery and I am very  proud of my decision, now if any one tried telling me different i would have told them sry  but this is my  life and I want to live as i see fit not to hurt their caring feelings  but again its my choice, so far i really cant say i have had any major negative ppl in my world and am very  glad for the many  positive company i keep, i am always looking for new friends and hope they understand and stay positive,

I wish you all the best in ur journey., gd luck in YOU'RE decisions,

Joy ( no sugar coated  from me )

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
Free Disney Tickers

NurseTammy
on 6/26/11 11:33 pm - Hamilton, Canada
When I had the Lap-Band in 2003, I told everyone.  I proudly handed out information packages, and post op, I had everyone feel the access port.  The weight came off in the first year ..... but I was very ill with Bulimia.  I kept getting positive reinforcements for negative behaviors.  After I sought treatment and the weight started piling back on .... I regretted my decision to tell people.

I have not told anyone about my upcoming surgery except my mom and Staff Health knows because I am on Modified which will end after I come back from post-op recovery.  Everyone thinks I am going for a Hernia Repair, which I am, while having Gastric Bypass.

I have the goal of losing at least 50 pounds between OptiFast and the first two months post op, which is when I will return back to work.  I am sure people will have questions...maybe concerns.  I am just going to say it was a hard recovery and while I was off I made a few changes.  Technically it is not lying...  I don't know if they will believe me...and maybe some time down the road I will tell some close friends or family.  But right now, it is best for me not to tell.  I can see people being very judgmental about me having WLS twice, and it failing the first time.   

It is a very personal choice. 
Tammy
328 - Highest Weight
305 - Surgery Weight- July 26th, 2011

Mary A.
on 6/28/11 3:57 am, edited 6/28/11 3:59 am
IMO it's human nature to say (oh my gosh are you okay, or I hope it's nothing serious" and hopefully that will stop the prying..but being the curious animals that humans are,  unfortunatly OFTEN it doesn't stop there.

I am 2 years + 4 months post-op and in my support group of over 200 pateints...my doctor told me early on that there had been only (1) death of a patient he had referred and that was because of an infeciton that she did not have looked at...very sad...

but like with ANY surgery there is the possibility of many things hapenning....

I think you have a strong POSITIVE outlook on the way things are, you are confident in your choice and it's great that you stand behind and are not waivering....

I would imagine that you must also have a wonderful support system...either that or you are definatly a very STRONG individual

either way I give you KUDOS< for handling the inquiries/nosey, neighsayers with tact and positivity!!!

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics