Another TWH Question Set : )

pinkjellybean
on 6/26/11 2:53 am - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12

This question is for post-ops or if you're having your surgery soon and the doctor already told you!

Did you have drains in your abdomen when you woke up from surgery?

Did you get discharged on blood thinners for a period of time?

Thank you in advance : )

SURGERY at Toronto Western Hospital - VSG JANUARY 25th, 2012!!

5'9 - HW - 390 SW - 368.8  GW - 150

Ottawa34
on 6/26/11 3:08 am - Ottawa, Canada
Hello,

I didnt have any drains coming out of surgery.  When i woke up by incisions were covered
with steri strips and clear bangages.  I only received blood thinner injections in hospital
and nothing after I was discharged. 

Good luck on your journey

Amy

Amy   
Submission for surgery -  October 2009            Info session - Jan 2010 
Nut & RN & behaviourist appt - Sept 2010          Follow up NUT appt - Jan 2011
Surg
eon appt - Jan 2011                                     RNY - March 4th, 2011 

(deactivated member)
on 6/26/11 3:21 am - Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
I went through TWH but my actual surgery was done at TEGH, it was a year ago, and things DO change.  I did NOT have drains; did have steristrips; had blood thinners in hospital, but none at home.  I had no bruising from the surgery itself but the blood thinners (both upper arms) gave me bruises as big as the palm of my hand! and the IVs also left big honkin' bruises on my forearms.  I looked like I'd been through a war, but I felt fantastic!

mo
Nesha_Bless
on 6/26/11 3:40 am - Canada
 agree with both, i didnt have a drain tube, and they gave me two blood thinner shots per day, after discharge they didnt give me any
MY ANGEL IS JOANNE J.

Janet13
on 6/26/11 4:23 am - Toronto, Canada
Same as above, no drains and only blood thinners while in the hospital.
"I used to be SnowWhite and then I drifted"
"words come easy behind the screen, when there is no interface-to-face to be seen"

CanDoItFour
on 6/26/11 5:06 am - Canada
TWH surgery for me four months ago, and I woke up with 1 drain because I had a lot of bleeding during the surgery.  Had a blood thinner shot day 1, but then began to bleed/leak from a second surgical site so they postponed  the second shot and decided to keep me an extra day.  Had the second shot on day 3.  Drain also removed on day 3 before I was discharged.  The second site continued to ooze for a few days, and I changed the bandages myself at home.  I had a fair amount of bruising on my abdomen, but it has of course faded now.  Hope this helps.  Claire
koree
on 6/26/11 6:59 am - Toronto, Canada
I didn't have any drains and I only had the blood thinners while I was in hospital 
Koree
July 13th, 2010 - Orientation at TWH.....  July 29th, 2010 - Bariatric Nurse Appt.....   August 10th, 2010 - Social Worker.....  September 8th, 2010 - Nutrition Class & Dietitian Appts.....  September 13th, 2010 - Psychologist.....  September 23rd, 2010 - Dietitian and Social Worker meeting with Hubby.....  October 12th, 2010 - Follow up with Social Worker.....  November 5th, 2010 - Met Surgeon - Teodor Grantcharov....  January 7th, 2011 - PATS.....   January 20th, 2011 - SURGERY!! 
Got me an Angel - Leanne1

NurseTammy
on 6/26/11 11:44 pm - Hamilton, Canada

I will be going to St. Joe's in Hamilton.  Drains are put in place when they think that you will be oozing or bleeding too much for your body to absorb.  It helps with post-op swelling and healing.  It is different with each person. 

At St. Joe's, you get a script for injectable blood thinners (they are pre-measured single use syringes) and take them for ten days post-op.  You can give them to yourself (it's actually okay after the first few times...I give myself B12 shots and the needle is ten times longer and thicker than the blood thinner) or you can have a family member do it.  They teach you how to do it while in you are in hospital.

These are great questions for the last education class before surgery to know what your hospital does.

Tammy
328 - Highest Weight
305 - Surgery Weight- July 26th, 2011

Most Active
Recent Topics