Clothes - Pre-Surgery Question

pinkjellybean
on 6/24/11 11:36 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12
I am suspecting that I will end up (if all goes well) having my surgery end of October or early November......what did you do in regards to clothes shopping if your surgery was at the beginning of a season change?  I would normally go shopping for new fall/winter clothes in early September but I'd hate to spend a bunch of money on clothes that are not going to fit me by the end of November - Luckily I can dress casually at work but I'm still worried with how to keep up with the clothes as you shrink sizes!

What do you folks do to help keep your costs down?

SURGERY at Toronto Western Hospital - VSG JANUARY 25th, 2012!!

5'9 - HW - 390 SW - 368.8  GW - 150

Krista Oelke
on 6/24/11 11:40 pm - Burlington, Canada
Goodwill, Value Village, ANY clearence racks, and Walmart! Lol I dont buy a piece of clothing unless its under 15$ because its crazy how fast you grow out of it .
Also if you keep an eye out on here, some people give their old clothes away and somethings there are clothing exchanges. Good luck :)

weightlossdreamer
on 6/24/11 11:43 pm - Canada
I bought clothes (new) and gave the to the St. Vincent de Paul after I grew out of them. Large sizes are always hard to come by, so I thought that giving them to a charity would be a good thing for people who didn't have the money ever to buy almost new clothes.
Margaret
Bonnie ABC
on 6/24/11 11:43 pm - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
Do you not have clothing exchanges in your support groups?  We have at almost every one except for maintenance.  I lived in the generosity of peoples clothes, I really did.  I lost so quickly, there was no sense buying anything until further out.

Bonnie
who is grateful.

I can do hard things, life is teaching me that I can.
             Lost 222lbs with rny, 20 lbs regain.

Plastics, July 2010 with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey, Mexico
DeeCanada
on 6/24/11 11:55 pm

You might also try  Kijjijji and the Usedottawa...just google for your area...
You might find this funny, but at one point I was on used..and there was someone seling 3 bags of plus size clothes which I bought..that is how I found out about the Gastric Bypass in Ottawa

dee

Monica M.
on 6/25/11 12:13 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
dont buy clothes new. VV, sally ann,goodwill

sam1am
on 6/25/11 12:18 am
 I guess I must be a bit of a horder as I had clothes for months that I had kept and grown out of.  I guess its because I hadn't ballooned up to my highest weight for too long.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Eileen C.
on 6/25/11 1:34 am - Cornwall, Canada
Hi

I basically checked my closet and found clothes that had gotten too small for me and when I was losing weight they then were fitting me, I gave my larger clothes to a friend at work and then later to my sister, which they were both happy to get.

I check for sales and don't buy unless it is on sale LOL

The other suggestions of Value Village, clothing exchanges at support group meetings is a great way as well.

Take care

Eileen 
            my angel is Lisa48                                        
ericaFG
on 6/25/11 1:44 am - Cambridge, Canada
Agreed - I had all sizes from about 14/16 to 22/24.  I went through my closet and basement and sorted everything pre-surgery by size.  Bought about 6 rubbermaid bins and put them in by size - then stacked them with smallest on the bottom, largest on top.

Every few weeks I worked my way through one of those bins trying things on.  Don't go more than 2 weeks or you'll miss stuff.

For the size 12-20 range, I got a lot of hand-me-downs from ladies in my group as well.  I also did some US shopping of clearance racks.  I'd find a great pair of pants or something at Target for $5 and buy 3 pairs - in every other size (like 10, 14, 18...).  I found you could wear them lose or tight and skip the middle size.  And no one new I had three identical pairs, they just thought they were the same pant! lol

Oh - and go with basic black pants.  And just keep washing and wearing the same ones. 

No joke -you will change sizes about once a month.  If you buy more than two or maybe three pairs of pants, you'll regret it.
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

StevesGal
on 6/25/11 3:49 am - Hamilton, Canada

Add me to the "clothes horse" list.  My DH is happy, not only that I'm taking control of my life and weight, but my closets as well.  (Yes, that's plural.  I have 2 closets, plus numerous boxes of clothes in the basement.)

I've already started washing up the summer stuff that has been too small in the past, and found some great memories and old favs as I went.  I also cleared out a good chunk of my winter tops and gave them to a charity store in Hamilton (the "Drop 'n' Shop" which is located next to the city dump).  Somebody's gonna get a lot of great sweaters next winter.

I've also done some 'end of season' shopping and got a few smaller tops from Pennington's.  They put out last summer's no-sells on sale at the beginning of this summer, so I've got a few lovely new tops for about $30/35 for 3 tops.  But that's all I'm buying.  Even though I've got all those boxes, it's still nice to have something new as well.

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

Most Active
Recent Topics