Was anybody else addicted to pop?

flyingwoman
on 6/25/11 4:54 pm
 I drank 3-6 litres of Coke Zero a day before surgery. Rarely drank anything else an thought it would be terrible. I quit it cold turkey on Day 3 of Optifast (I did Opti an extra couple of weeks voluntarily) and although I miss the idea of it, I don't really miss it. I actually find it shocking how little I miss it. 

Starting BMI 69 w comorbidities | 55 of the weight lost above was pre-op.    
Bonnie ABC
on 6/25/11 7:33 pm - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
Along with my addiction to frozen cherry blossoms.. I was addicted to diet Coke.   2l bottle after bottle would come into my house.  The day I had my consult and my surgeon told me that I was done, then I was done.  Being an addiction.. lol.. and yes, going to talk about that slippery slope lol..  drinking it just makes you feel like chips don't it?   Or pretzels... or whatever.  It became a comfort food.   So I know if I started up again, besides all the reason I wish not to gain all the weight back, I am not going there.  I was about to type never.. but never is such a hard word isn't it?  Like 'lost 100lbs forever'.. yeah.. sure... if you don't deal with the head stuff, it will find you again lol.  
Anyways, great choice to just give it up now.  Also help you start following some rules for success.  Why not start now :)

Hugs

Bonnie
who still has an addiction, but it doesn't have to be at the top of my list anymore.

I can do hard things, life is teaching me that I can.
             Lost 222lbs with rny, 20 lbs regain.

Plastics, July 2010 with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey, Mexico
Kelshy
on 6/25/11 9:04 pm - Cannifton, Canada
 I lived on diet coke and drank it almost daily since the early 80's. My recycling bin was always full of the empty bottle. I have waffled to be honest. I quit cold turkey just before my referral and did not have any for about 4 months. With the waiting dragging on and gaining weight I went back to drinking it although less. 

I was fully prepared to quit post op and have BUT I must say having diet coke during the optifast stage was the saviour to my sanity. Diet coke was my very last drink the night before surgery.
The next morning I woke up and dumped the rest of the bottle down the drain.

I have not had a drop since ... but I do admit the occasional desire to gulp some down. There is none in my house. Nobody else drinks it. Occasionally my teens have pepsi which I always hated so I am good.

I do miss being able to gulp back a big glass cold of something when I am hot. But gulping is not do-able either.

Anyways ... thats the story of my diet coke addiction.

Chris

Feb 19 2010 Referral to Ottawa         Nov 24 2010 Orientation at TWH
Jan 25 2011 Nurse                               Feb 16 2011 Social Worker
March 10 2011 Psychiatrist                 April 8 2011 Surgeon
Surgery May 9 2011                             Bowel Obstruction/ internal Hernia Feb 13 2013  

Quinns_mommy
on 6/25/11 9:17 pm
I was HUGELY addicted to coke AND regular coffee pre-op. Same with my husband. I quit 2 months before surgery and haven't had pop/caffeine since. I miss the caffeine more than anything I think, but am getting used to having MY OWN evergy and not needing the caffeine. There is never pop in the house now - even got my DH onto crystal light... he drinks it a few times a day now :) It's the only 'drink' we keep in the house besides milk and water. My son doesn't even drink juice unless we are out. :)

My angels are sam1am and Joyce J. :)  
pinkjellybean
on 6/25/11 10:02 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12
Wow!  This is so nice to see....I truly felt embarassed to share this here because I thought I was the only freak in the world who was addicted to diet coke - haha.  Truth is I know that obesity can make us feel isolated and thats exactly how I feel in every aspect of it including the diet coke addiction - I sometimes will think there isn't anyone more overweight or more addicted to food than I am but really so many of the discussions here on this board have helped me to not feel so alone in this. 

I really got into the diet coke through all of my failed diets when during them I would joke that I wanted something to drink besides water and "didn't want to drink my calories when I could be eating them" - isn't that sad?  I don't have this thinking all the time anymore but it does creep up on me.

SURGERY at Toronto Western Hospital - VSG JANUARY 25th, 2012!!

5'9 - HW - 390 SW - 368.8  GW - 150

Bonnie ABC
on 6/25/11 10:28 pm - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
Do you drink Crystal Lite now?   If you go to the states they have other brands and flavors.  I only drink it now, water just doesn't sit right.  I might have a rare tea, but it's very rare.

Bonnie

pinkjellybean
on 6/25/11 10:54 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12
I've never tried Crystal Lite - although I have a friend that swears by it. 

I am actually going to PA, USA on July 24th for a week....

Any flavour recommendations?

SURGERY at Toronto Western Hospital - VSG JANUARY 25th, 2012!!

5'9 - HW - 390 SW - 368.8  GW - 150

Bonnie ABC
on 6/26/11 10:57 am - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
I love the orange, think it might be tangerine.  Everyone is so unique though, you may have to find a few kinds to find your favorite.

Bonnie

on_my_way2011
on 6/25/11 11:33 pm - Canada
This is a great place isn't it?  There have been so many posts that I have read and thought, "wow, I thought it was just me".  It is truly amazing how similar all of our paths to becoming obese are...and how we are only finding out through this forum.  It's one of those things that we just don't discuss out loud, not even with our other obese or overweight friends. 

I am so thankful I found this safe place where nothing it off limits!!

Tracy

Highest weight ~ 360, Surgery weight ~ 280, Current weight ~ 171
Referral to bariatric registry ~ April 29, 2011  SURGERY ~ September 27, 2011
My  is Gailupnorth.

(deactivated member)
on 6/25/11 11:17 pm, edited 6/25/11 11:18 pm - Canada
Yup...another pop addict here. I gave it up the day of Orientation. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I made the switch to water right away - didn't do the Crystal Light transition like the dietician recommended during Orientation.

A woman in my Orientation session was so addicted she actually passed on having the surgery because she didn't want to give it up. I was floored when she said she wasn't going through with the program because she didn't want to give up Coke. I seriously wanted to shake her.
Most Active
Recent Topics