Was anybody else addicted to pop?

pinkjellybean
on 6/25/11 12:28 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12
I confess that I have a pretty nasty addiction to diet coke - which I'm sure is what contributes to my poor snacking habits and based on the research I'm sure it contributes to my obesity. : (  I have only successfully given up diet coke twice in my life and that was during both of my pregnancies but I always ended up back at it after both babies were born.....

Now that my orientation is at hand I figure it's time to kick the habit for good....has anyone else been horribly addicted?  I can drink A LOT in a day.......how should I do this without killing myself with withdrawal headaches : (  

Maybe I should suck it up and deal with the agitation and headaches from caffeine withdrawal.

SURGERY at Toronto Western Hospital - VSG JANUARY 25th, 2012!!

5'9 - HW - 390 SW - 368.8  GW - 150

on_my_way2011
on 6/25/11 12:42 pm - Canada
I am very addicted to Diet Coke as well  (my friend and I share this addiction and when I first found out I would have to give it up we talked about the possibility of drinking it flat!!LOL).  I actually drank pop all through my pregnancy, but had to give up carbonated drinks while breastfeeding because my baby got horrible gas from them.  So I know I can do it...but it will be hard.

I have been buying some diet pop that doesn't have caffeine and so I have been alternating...diet coke, water, caffeine free diet pop, water.   I figure that way I am only drinking one quarter of the caffeine I was and only half the pop.  That seems to be going good, so I am going to cut out the diet coke first and go to water, caffeine free diet pop, water next.  Then I will cut out the diet pop altogether.  I plan to be pop free by my first set of appointments on July 12.

Tracy

Highest weight ~ 360, Surgery weight ~ 280, Current weight ~ 171
Referral to bariatric registry ~ April 29, 2011  SURGERY ~ September 27, 2011
My  is Gailupnorth.

JJ_
on 6/25/11 12:47 pm
Hey Tracy - Good plan to wean yourself off of the pop. 
EmmiePie
on 6/25/11 1:01 pm - Kingston, Canada
I was horribly addicted.  I started by drinking crystal light and sugar free kool aid.  Once I drank more of that, I was noticing I was craving diet coke less and less.  I was probably also constantly dehydrated from drinking it so much, which may have led to craving it more?   I was down to maybe one a day and I said, screw it, might as well do it now.  That was a few months ago and I haven't touched caffeine since!  I've had a ginger ale here and there in the past when we've gone out for supper but its not something I crave.   I don't miss it at all (or any soft drink)  and I can honestly say I don't have cravings for it. 

Try drinking as much water as you can each day and see if that helps!

PatXYZ
on 6/25/11 1:02 pm
I stopped drinking diet pop about 3.5 years ago and found I missed the fizz more than the caffeine, so I started drinking perrier/san pelligrino to help with the transition. Now I drink crystal light and don't miss the pop or the mineral water that much at all (probably have them 3-4 times in a year now for a treat). Just an idea that might help you!
pinkjellybean
on 6/25/11 1:18 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12
In honour of my orientation this week I feel like this is the week to kick-start my reduction - I think I'll start by cutting my consumption in half and increasing my water.

It's sad to say out loud but I know I am not even coming close to the amount of water I should be drinking - some days I have maybe one teeny glass of it - my poor giant body is likely dehydrated as all get out.  

SURGERY at Toronto Western Hospital - VSG JANUARY 25th, 2012!!

5'9 - HW - 390 SW - 368.8  GW - 150

Manda M.
on 6/25/11 1:53 pm
I was addicted to diet Pepsi... when i left my orientation they said if you were serious about this surgery you will give up something so I did.. cold turkey.. It isn't as hard as you think and won't be the hardest thing you are going to have to kick before you have the surgery. And to be honest after not having it for a long time the fizz actually because kinda gross and none appealing (at least for me)

http://pouchgirlrny.blogspot.com  -- My thoughts and experience so far post RNY!!

Kristina1987
on 6/25/11 1:55 pm - Canada
 i was addicted to regular coke forever throughout my pregnancy aswell i fined for it luckly my son is completely normal! i drank pop up until my 1 on 1 consult with the dietician where i was asked to stop drinkiing pop, chocolate milk, and eating fast food! that weekend i quit pop ans havent looked back! however! now on optifast at work i have maybe a 10oz glsss during an 8hour shift because of the nasty after taste of optifast other than that its jus****er baby!
laura S.
on 6/25/11 2:05 pm - London, Canada
I was so addicted.. I drank tons of it every day - didn't drink coffee - just diet coke/diet pepsi... didn't drink water.. didn't drink milk.. nothing but diet pepsi.  I went through at least 2 litres per day if not more.  After orientation I stopped drinking it.  I'll be honest though.. it was HARD.  The pop row in the grocery store called to me every time I went in.  It wasn't so much the physical part of it that killed me.  That was over in a few days.  The psychological was tough though.  I just stopped and only drank water or crystal light and wouldn't let myself have it.  

I went to a restaurant a couple of months ago and didn't even think.. just ordered a diet pepsi.  Took a sip when it came and was totally shocked to find out I don't like the taste now!  never would have thought that was possible.  Now you can't keep me out of the water and I barely ever drink even Crystal LIght anymore

You can do it.  Just stay tough until you get through the worst of it.

Laura

molly58
on 6/25/11 4:27 pm
I loved Coke and Pepsi diet or regular and i did not want to give it up, I started to drink Crystal Light  iced tea and now I find that all I want is straigh****er, I had a pepsi about 2 weeks ago and found that I did not like the sweetness but I did enjoy the bubbles. lol
Molly
Most Active
Recent Topics