Vitamins : )

pinkjellybean
on 6/18/11 10:51 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12
Can someone tell me the list of Vitamins you really should take every day post-surgery?

Right now I am not on a single medication or vitamin.  It's going to be hard for me to transition to remembering to take pills every day so I was thinking I could start taking some of the Vitamins now - it shouldn't hurt right?  

Any recommendations on brand specific items that worked well for you post surgery?

SURGERY at Toronto Western Hospital - VSG JANUARY 25th, 2012!!

5'9 - HW - 390 SW - 368.8  GW - 150

(deactivated member)
on 6/18/11 11:17 pm
At St.Joe's Hamilton we were told to take a calcium citrate suppliment with vit D, and a pre-natal vitamin.  You should take them separatly as the calcium and other vitamins don't absorb as well when taken together.  I also take an iron supplement as my iron was a bit low and also B12 and biotine.  Biotine was recommended to help reduce the hair loss that may occur.  I started taking all my vitamins and supplements a couple of months before my surgery to get used to it.  I brought all my bottles with me to my nurse and dietician appointments so they could see what I was taking and recommend any changes.
My schedual goes like this:

Breakfast-1 1/2 tbsp Life brand liquid calcium citrate (with vit d)

Lunch-iron

Dinner-1 1/2tbsp Life brand liquid calcium citrate (with vit d)

Bedtime-Life brand prenatal vitamin
                 B12
                 Biotine

Every clinic has their own guidelines but this is what was recommended for me.  I am only 5 days out and have not had any blood testing or labs done to see what my numbers are but I hope the info will give you an idea of what you may be looking at.
pinkjellybean
on 6/19/11 2:31 am - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12
Did you have any problems getting the prenatal vitamin down?  I took those suckers through pregnancies/breastfeeding and they are not teeny tiny pills!

SURGERY at Toronto Western Hospital - VSG JANUARY 25th, 2012!!

5'9 - HW - 390 SW - 368.8  GW - 150

Tanya T.
on 6/19/11 2:46 am
I am also going through St. Joe's in Hamilton and I am taking the calcium with vitamin D twice a day and a prenatal.  I have heard that there is a chewable form of the calcium but haven't looked for it yet.  The prenatal is big too but maybe try getting a pill splitter to split them in half. I've heard that's what you may need to do after surgery anyways.

Tanya

(deactivated member)
on 6/19/11 4:52 am
Before surgery I had no problem getting them down now I do split or crush them.  Tastes like crap though even mixed with unsweetened applesauce. lol
irol770
on 6/19/11 3:08 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
I take Bariatric Fusion.  They are chewable pills that you take 4 times per day.  With those the only other thing I have to take is one calcium (650 mg) which i forget to take a lot :(

I have been taking iron now as well because my iron is very low and not coming up.  And even though my D levels were perfect my doctor said it is good to take that as well, so now I've thrown that on.

I have a huge problem with thinning hair, so as per doc recommendations I am also taking Biotin, Zinc and Vit E in addition to the rest.
Glitter Text Generator

Mary A.
on 6/21/11 2:52 am
I take:

Bariatric Chewable multi vitamins 2 x day
calcium citrate 2 x day
Ferrotrate (3) capsules a day
and Bio-D Mulsion 100 4 drops a day

everyone is DIFFERENT in their requirements and each clinic/hospital/program tells their patients something different..so check with your doctors and make sure to get your blood panels done regularly for the first year..because being deficient in something can efefct your body and health in many ways.

I was low in Ferritin/iron for almost 2 years and changed types of Iron I think 4 times..this one will hopefully keep my level (which is now a nine) where it is or increasing.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics