My first stall

kellybelly333
on 6/8/11 9:47 pm - Toronto, Canada
So, here I am, 11 weeks out and I've hit my first stall. I have lost 52 pounds. I have another 40 something to go and I know that I should be grateful that im doing well , and haven't hit a stall yet, but I'm freaking out and scared.

in the past when I would hit a stall, that would be it for me. The diet would be over, and old habits kick in. I have been struggling with my first feelings of hunger (which is a total flip to a few weeks ago when I was given a good scolding by the surgeon for not eating enough). The hunger comes at three, and cravings for carbs begin. I haven't caved, but I do feel that I could eat more than the 800 calories u have been getting in.....and as that number is crazy low for regular folk, I know people over a year out on 900. This is playing with my mind, and I'm hoping my friends here can give me some advice on head hunger and what to do. It seems too early to feel this way!!!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Joyce J.
on 6/8/11 11:38 pm - Scarborough, Canada
Hey Kel,

Are you spreading your food out over the whole day? Eating 3 meals just does not cut it especially when trying to lose.
Have 3 meals and 2 snacks
Getting your water in?
Sometimes change up the food you are eating cause your body seems to get used to the same things
Sometimes adding a bit of fat(little bit lol) into your diet can break that stall.
Is 800 calories the number your doc gave you? Just seems low, but I don't remember that far back to when I was 11 weeks out LOL

Hope you get some good advice from others

Keep your chin up

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

kellybelly333
on 6/9/11 12:21 am - Toronto, Canada
Thanks Joyce. I am definitely not getting enough water. So i'm making sure of that today. I am spreading my meals out for sure.

Also, Tabetha just told me that I haven't hit a stall, because a stall lasts a few weeks, and this is just the first time the scale didn't move. Also it's hot, so I could be retaining water. Possible. Very possible.

I just feel that it's my mind playing tricks on me mostly. I have to focus on the positive, and where I was 11 weeks ago.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Joyce J.
on 6/9/11 12:30 am - Scarborough, Canada
Hahaha ok, didn't realize it was the first time the scale didn't move LOL

My first stall was at 6 weeks and lasted about 3 weeks lol. Put your scale away, take your measurements

Take care

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

kellybelly333
on 6/9/11 12:56 am - Toronto, Canada
I only weigh myself once a week. I never did take measurement (silly me). However I was measured for a show that I did last April, so I could use those measurements, I guess. LOL

I'm silly, I know. I'll shut up now. :-)

Gabygee
on 6/9/11 12:34 am - Canada
I'm a little "younger" than you on the bench (9 weeks) but I figure we're close enough for useful comparison.

As a recent "survivor" of a stall, I can confirm that increased water and exercise were the things that got me jumpstarted again.
I never quit journalling, so that wasn't it - although that's the first thing everyone suggests.
And although some of my snacks were in liquid form (milky tea or a protein shake) I did have 3 a day + 2 snacks.

In the end, I added another 500 ml of water to my daily regimen, and walked 1 km more - and the scales started to move again. (In my case it stalled for 11 days).

And wahoo - I'm under the 200 lb mark, and counting.

kellybelly333
on 6/9/11 1:00 am - Toronto, Canada
First of all. Hooray for Onederland!! Congrats on that!

And yes, I never stopped journalling either. I'm on day 66 of MyFitnessPal.com :-) I got rid of liquid snacks a few days ago, because I was wondering if they are going right through me, and not curbing my hunger.

So, I will up my water, and exercise.

Thanks!!

3littlepigs
on 6/9/11 12:30 am
Hey,
I hit the same wall ( I don't like stall) at the same time.  I gained and lost the same pound for almost 3 weeks.  Logically I know it's not possible to gain a pound of fat when I'm only eating 800-900 calories but the brain still wants me to reduce the amount I eat.  When I feel like I need a little more of something now I keep a jar of pickled asparagus or SF sweet pickles in the fridge.  Your body may actually need more calories and you truly are hungry.  I also have protien bars around if I feel like a need a more substanial snack.  I believe I broke my first stall by eating more protien over the weekend at our trailer.  I also drank a lot of water that weekend too.  Whatever it was, just know that the scale will move and keep up the great work!  My NUT said that her expectation of good weight loss at this stage is 5-10 pounds a month. So don't fret and let time takes it's course.
Donna
kellybelly333
on 6/9/11 2:36 am - Toronto, Canada
Ooh, I like wall...good word. And also good to know about the 5-10 pounds a month by this point.

Most Active