Surgery with BMI over 50?

flyingwoman
on 8/6/10 3:56 pm
I wonder if this might be why I seem to be delayed in getting my appointment at Humber. I have a BMI of 59ish.
civil_wars2006
on 8/6/10 10:18 pm, edited 8/6/10 10:19 pm
Hum, it could possibly be.  Where are you at in the process?  Have you saw the NUT, SW, Psych eval and met your surgeon?  But, as I was saying Dr. Sohi told me they were lifting that the first of June and I did have my surgery in June. 

flyingwoman
on 8/7/10 3:00 am
 No, no initial appointment yet at all. I've counted four folks on OH in the last few weeks alone who applied long after me and have got their initials at HRRH.

I have an appointment with my endo in a little over a week. If I haven't heard from them by then I am going to ask him to put in a second referral for me.
civil_wars2006
on 8/7/10 3:13 am
Yeah, I'd keep greasing the wheel.  But, it took me  about 13 months for my first appts and 18 months for surgery.  I understand that TWH has a much shorter wait.  Good luck with it all.

Connie

flyingwoman
on 8/7/10 8:27 am
 Thanks!
Time4anew_Me
on 8/7/10 6:37 am - Canada
I don't think the BMI is a factor really. My BMI was 63 at the beginning of this process and he asked me to try and lose 60lbs. He said it is just easier if you do because you need to shrink the fat around your liver. So in the first week, I lost 22lbs on the Optifast and my BMI is now 60. I have Dr.Hagen and he seems to be the one to deal with larger people. As he told me it's not impossible, just easier with a lower BMI.

Surgeon Consult - Jan 6th, 2010   - Follow-up w/ SW/NUT/Surgeon - April 21st
SW/NUT/ Class - February 11th, 2010 - Appt with Dr.Glazer (internest)/Sleep Clinic - July 19th, 2010
Psych Appt - March 15th - PATS - August 4th, 2010 - Surgery - August 31st. 2010

PMcBride
on 8/7/10 9:48 am - Windham Centre, Canada
I had a BMI of 64 when I started(down to 49 now) and it was never an issue>  I think it more depends on how many co-morbidities you have really.  What does everyone else think?

HW-441   CW-161 GW 170      
 www.youtube.com/user/PatrinaStrippedBare  www.patrinastrippedbare.typepad.com 

jan32
on 8/7/10 11:57 am
my bmi was close to 60 when I started the process at Guelph, (now a little under 35, yahhhh) was never told there was a magic number where they won't do the surgeries. 
Most Active
Fall Clothing Exchange!!!
Mallory · 0 replies · 9 views
Recent Topics