Surgery with BMI over 50?

laura S.
on 8/6/10 9:18 am - London, Canada
Hi all,

I have been reading other people's posts and from bits and pieces here and there and from what I've gathered it seems that if your BMI is over 50 that there is some difficulty with scheduling surgery.  I've tried to find information on the internet regarding this, but so far haven't found much new information.  My BMI is closer to 60!   Unless I've misunderstood something, it seems that some people have been rejected until they have lost the weight to get them down prior to being approved.  Is 50 the magic number or is there a guideline?  Any advice would be appreciated!  I'm really worried that I won't be approved 

Thanks!
Laura

Jennifer D.
on 8/6/10 9:24 am
The surgeons in TO don't have a lot of experience with BMI over 50. I have heard them ask people to lose weight but if you can get a good endo at your assessment centre you could ask to be sent out of country.
                                      Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150
Jody08
on 8/6/10 9:26 am - essex, Canada
 well, my BMI was 57, i have lost a little and I am down to 54.5, I have 2 more weeks b4 i see the surgeon and hope to lose a little more b4 ??

i know they told me , i need to lose and keep losing and maintain it until the surgery..i think it includes alot of factors, mobility level, what are your co-morbities..any abdominal issues..etc

i know some ppl have been sent to hamilton, as they have a medically supervised weight loss program at the general hospital to lose prior to surgery but it seems to be case by case

don't worry just try to make some changes in your diet and to increase your activity...every little pound counts and will help you for recovery

not sure if there is a magic number or not??it may be 60, something rings a bell bout that but i am sure it is case by case
if i hear anything about BMI restrictions from my surgeon in hamilton in 2 weeks i will post it 

just keep on moving, we will all get the bench eventually
started this process back in 2007/2008 denied MGB, denied for Barix, put on hold (BMI was too high for pilot phase)at St.joe's and since moved to Windsor and had to start again, December, 2009 referral sent from GP...April 5 and 8, 2010 1st appt at Windsor clinic with nurse and doc
April 16, 2010 sleep clinic, April 27 echo
May 3,2010 Orientation at Met hospital--,
SURGERY booked Oct.20.2010

Riceroni
on 8/6/10 9:45 am - London, Canada
I think my BMI is around 60.  Check my ticker below.  I have been cleared to have surgery just have to meet the surgeon.  They have decided that I will have my specific surgeon because he has the most experience at the hospital and does the cases with higher bmi and other complications.  It all depends where you go.  I will be having surgery in Guelph.
Hope that helps, Kim :)

lij1972
on 8/6/10 9:47 am - Burlington, Canada
HI Laura,

I had my surgery at St. Joe's in Hamilton.  Their max BMI was 60.  I was over that but I was able to bring my BMI under that so that I could have my surgery.  By the time I had my surgery, my BMI was 55.5.  Dr. Hong told me that if you are over 55 BMI they may be some technical difficulties in doing the RNY but they will revert to a Sleeve if that is the case.  Fortunately, Dr Anvari was able to do RNY on me. 

I think every hospital had a different BMI maximum.  Humber last thing I saw was 55 and when I talked to Guelph they didn't go by BMI but by maximum weight.  

Because my BMI was initally over 60, I went throught my initial appointments and then was on hold until I got under 60.  I was offered a referral to the Bariatric Centre at the General.  I declined as I was doing well on my own.  

This delayed my progress by almost 2 months.  Once I got under 60, I went in for a re-weight and things picked up again and had my surgery about 1.5 months after my re-weigh.  My only regret is that I didn't start to lose weight to get under the maxiumum BMI earlier.

Good luck to you!
Lisa
Since January 26, 2010:

justmeyogs
on 8/6/10 10:03 am - TOronto, Canada
Hi,

I think its best to ask the surgeon or even your nurse.  I know when I started my process my BMI was over 50...about 51.5.....thus far its actually come down to about 49 and I have my surgery coming up on August 25.  However I did ask at TWH and they indicated to me that BMI wasnt an issue with them.  My suggestion is to ask...

Justmeyogs
civil_wars2006
on 8/6/10 10:20 am
Hi Laura,

I had my surgery at HRRH.  Dr. Sohi (whom I just love) was my surgeon.  My BMI was over 60.  Back in the spring when I was visiting with him, he advised me that the government had stopped them from doing surgeries for people  with BMI over 55 (as I remember).  However, they were expecting that restriction to be lifted the first of June.  I had my surgery 06-23-2010.  So, I think it does depend on the doctor and the location.

Hope this helps,

Connie

Cheri H.
on 8/6/10 10:34 am, edited 8/6/10 10:35 am - Brampton, Canada
I don't know much about BMI limits within Ontario - but I do want to say - for those whose BMI's are 60 or greater please do yourself a favour and research the Duodenal Switch. It's not done in Ontario but with your BMI, the centre can recommend to OHIP you go out of country and get the Duodenal Switch (or perhaps out of province to Dr Gagner who is now in Montreal - and one of the world's leading DS surgeons). The Duodenal Switch has the best weight loss stats (that is losing it AND the all important keeping it off) and the best co-morbidity resolution stats.

LIkely no one at the centres has told you this option existed and arguably it may be a bit more bumpier a road to get the DS - but all the bumps in the road are worth it. Research ALL of the surgeries and ensure you get the one you can live the rest of your life with. The motto on the DS board is Think Twice Cut Once - because lots and lots of people get revised from the RNY to the DS - because they didn't know about the DS when they got surgery the first time. Instead of just accepting what the centres tell you - research each surgery yourself and find out what is best for you and the advocate for yourself to get it.

K, stepping off my soapbox now. If anyone is interested in finding out more check out dsfacts.com, the DS board on OH or feel free to PM me.
Cheri                                                                                                              I the DS!

I had the Duodenal Switch!  Do yourself a favour and check out www.dsfacts.com - especially if your BMI is over 50!

HW: 426/SW: 421/CW: 165/ GW: 150           Current BMI is 26.6!         
sheri139
on 8/6/10 2:27 pm - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 11/05/08 with
had RNY, paid by OHIP in the states with a BMI of 60.8... doing great and not regretting this one little bit..
Sheri
RNY ohcardsmallsheri.gif picture by lynnca1972 Nov 5, 2008
16 pounds lost pre surgery    
laura S.
on 8/6/10 2:31 pm - London, Canada
Thank you everyone for posting responses.  I feel much better knowing that others have been there too! 

Thanks again,

Laura
Most Active
Fall Clothing Exchange!!!
Mallory · 0 replies · 8 views
Recent Topics