OT: Help, my daughter is moving to Las Vegas in Aug!

gettin_there
on 7/30/04 8:14 am - Warren, MI
Hello to my fellow AMOS members in the Las Vegas area. I will be driving down from the Detroit area in Aug with my daughter. She has 2 friends living there, and she is moving in! I have read reports that the Las Vegas area is the fastest growing area in the US. But, alas, I also watch COPS. Could anyone please tell me about the city....the better areas to live, shop, and play? (by better, I mean safe). It's not just about gambling is it? My daughter is in the medical field, a CNA, and may go back to nursing school there. How is the job market for CNA's or nurses?Her friends live off Boulder Hwy towards Hendersonville. Thank you for any info. Andrea
Sally M.
on 8/4/04 6:12 am - Las Vegas, NV
I have just had surgery (last Fri) and have lived in Las Vegas for 3 years. No, it's not all about gambling!! There are many people who live here who never go near the strip at all. I myself wotk in advertising. I would imagine your daughter will have no trouble finding work in the medical field - they are crying out for nurses here. In my opinion, Henderson is very safe. I live in SW Las Vegas and feel very safe here (having moved from England 3 years ago straight to Las Vegas!). I personally would not want to live in North Las Vegas. Hope this helps. Sally
gettin_there
on 8/4/04 7:59 pm - Warren, MI
Hi Sally, Thanks for the info. We will be leaving in 10 days and I am starting to feel somewhat better about her move. My dtr always has the option of comming back home! btw, welcome to the U.S. and to the "other side"....good luck. Andrea
giggle95376
on 8/4/04 5:49 pm - Las Vegas, NV
Hi there, I moved to Las Vegas in March 2004 so i am a relative newcomer as well. I know that moving here without any idea of where i wanted to live or where was "safe" was scarey. We live in Summerlin which is in west Las Vegas and is a very nice part of Vegas. I agree with the other person *****sponded...I wouldnt want to live in North Las Vegas either. I was told that anything north and WEST of Decatur would be OK....but NOT EAST of Decatur. Hope that helps!! Take care, Harriet
gettin_there
on 8/4/04 8:06 pm - Warren, MI
Hi Harriet, Thanks for your post also! I had a hard time finding Decatur on a map. I was looking for a city not a street. Now that I found it I see it runs on the west side Vegas. It seems to seperate the Summerlin and N. Las Vegas area. How is the East Las Vegas area down to Henderson? Thanks, Andrea
Most Active