The "program" at the surgical weight control center

cgarcia112
on 1/19/09 4:04 pm - Las Vegas, NV
So I went to my 1st seminar with Atkinson...very impressive! Also, VERY crowded. I had a lot of things to ask but the group for Qs at the end was uber thick and I had to pick up my son.
I plan on attending another soon just because.
I will be done with my 3 mo med weight loss in early Feb. I spoke with Luz at the office and it seems that after that, the process "can"go rather quickly. Psych, Ins, $$s Labs, and surg. It's getting much more "real" now and I am excited.

Q for those who have used Dr. Atkinson: He gave very little impression as to his "program" prior to and after the surgery. I have been to several other seminars and it seems fairly universal that there are guidelines to follow pre-op (liquid diet for x days, etc.) and Post op (clears for x days, puree for x days, etc.)  Does the office there give a thorough and set out diet plan post op? Is there a nutritionist? I just don't want much freedom post op...I feel I need a set of rules and I know I can follow them, because I finally have faith that it will actually work if I stick to it.
Thanks...sorry for the long post.

CG
jennaflirt
on 1/21/09 3:07 am - Las Vegas, NV
Congrats and your progress.  I used Atkinson and had my RNY on 10/13/08.  I did 2 seminars also.  But that is just the beginning.  Once you have met all insurance requirements and all paperwork has been sent to Atkinsons office they will look it over and let you know if you are missing anything or simply submit to insurance.  I have Cigna and I was approved in 3 days.  Once they have the approval they will schedule a surgery date.  You will then have a group pre op meeting.  There you may meet with Brian dr. Atkinsons assistant.  He will go over the procedure and answer ALL your questions.  You will recieve a packet of info including pre op info and post op food choices.  How long to stay on clear liquids, full liquids, soft foods and so on.   You will also get the info on how much you are responsible for.  I did not have to do a preop liquid diet.  I had pizza at 10pm the night before.  In the hospital after surgery they will again give you a list of foods or liquids.  The lists are not complete.  It is bascially a guideline.  You will have a post op appointment 1 week later then another 1 month later.  At those appointments you can ask any additional questions.  I think your best bet is this website and any research you can do on your own.  Post op I now feel like an alien.  I love this site.  I can come here and see I am not alone and get an idea of what everyone else is feeling and how they are getting through it.  So this is just my experience.  Hope it helps.  Good Luck and you can pm me with any questions along the way.

Highest/Current/Goal
263/118/138

was size 22
now size 4

cgarcia112
on 1/21/09 8:41 am - Las Vegas, NV
Thanks for the post!
Does the office there have a nutritionist or have any they recommend?
I am scared of having too much freedom post op. I feel that if I have a plan spelled out that I can stick to it...my head is my enemy!

Your progress looks great by the way!

Thanks
jennaflirt
on 1/21/09 2:45 pm - Las Vegas, NV
I had to see the nut for insurance approval.  The office gave me a name to call and have my consult.  I don't think they have anyone in office.  I think having one would be great for anyone.  Of course the surgery prevents you from making bad choices but not completly.  I understand the need to get some guidence.  It would be nice.  What works for me since I don't have a nut is reading everything.  Set your limits on what you know you need and can't have.  I have cut sugar, bread and anything with white flour out completly.  I read all labels and know how much or how little I need.  My cousin had bypass yrs ago and she knows she can eat up to 30 grams or sugar before she dumps.  I don't want to know this.  I assume any amount of refined sugar will make me ill.  If your insurance will cover it or you can simply afford to have a nut do it.  Otherwise it is all a learning experience.  You have to know your limits and guidelines. 

Highest/Current/Goal
263/118/138

was size 22
now size 4

Most Active