Am thinking about moving to Nevada....questions...

Michelle N.
on 1/11/09 11:37 pm - Henderson, NV
On January 12, 2009 at 12:16 AM Pacific Time, kamehanaokala wrote:
From one Michelle to another............thank you so much! I'm taking in all the info i can from people. What made you move to Nevada?

I have friends here but there were no good paying jobs back home and I was tired of the snow. I just got my BS in March and no one wanted to pay me for it. There are jobs here but its hard to get people to call you back or at least let you know they got your resume.  I would sign up with employment agencies asap. They can do the searching for you.

Jane L.
on 4/3/09 3:16 pm - NV
 I move here from Oahu about a year ago and I love, love, love Nevada!  I didn't think I would, but I really feel like this is HOME.  I live north, near Reno.  Lot's of Hawaiians in the Vegas area, but you probably already knew that.

Based on my (mostly negative) three years of living on Oahu, let me tell you, the people here are nicer, the schools are great and the weather is pretty darn good too!  There are all generalizations, but we found, for us, a little piece of heaven and we couldn't be happier.

trafficdonna
on 7/6/09 2:58 am
We live in Henderson, Nevada (about 20 minutes from Las Vegas strip).  We moved here from Ohio in 1997.  We love it.

Right now housing is a bargain due to economy.  Job hunting however is difficult--my husband has been laid off for six months.  I hear conflicting reports on schools--some love them, some hate them.   Food costs less here than in Ohio right now---grocery stores are fairly close together so you can shop sales without spending a fortune on gas.

Weather--well of course you need AC and could not live here without it but I do usually have roses still blooming in early December and come back to bloom in March.  I work for the City of Henderson and I think it is a good place to live.  It rains only 5-6 days out of the year so get used to desert landscaping (rock and cactus plants which can be quite beautiful).

This too will pass, like a kidney stone but it will pass!
Rosebud2
on 9/2/09 2:20 pm
This is a pretty old post but I had to chime in.  We have lived in Henderson since 2002.  We moved from California.  I used to love California but I would not recommend it now.  The state is falling apart.

There is no State Income Tax in Nevada so that is always a plus.

The Henderson schools seem OK so far.

(23 prior to surgery)   

I'm 5'8"
The old broad

Most Active