Dr. Atkinson and Cigna- sharing my experience so far

jennaflirt
on 9/18/08 9:45 am - Las Vegas, NV
It doesn't seem as though people really post often on the Nevada page.  I have looked all through this site and found some great info.  But I have not found alot about my Dr. or my insurance.  I have Cigna.  I did my 6 mo diet but was missing consecutive months.  So the surgeons office had me do it all over again.  While I was completing my 6 mo Cigna added a requirement.  Now you need a BMI of 35 with comorbs for 24 months or 40 with no comorbs for 24 mths.  I called Cigna and they said a letter from my pcp would be fine.  I finished my 6 mo, all labs, nut, psych eval and sleep study.  It took 3 days of calling to be sure all info was sent to the surgeon but today I was told that I can come in next week for my consult and set a date.  I was concerned about Cigna as I have heard it was terrible to deal with.  The advocate told me that when you have all the paperwork in order Cigna is no problem and she doesn't think I will have an issue.  I am excited and kinda shocked that the 6mo went by so fast.  So to those who are doing the 6 mo diet.  There is light!!!!!!!!! 
barbccrn
on 9/20/08 8:47 am - Las Vegas, NV
I have Cigna...Dr Teng's office submitted my paperwork and I was approved within 10 days. Quick and painless!!!!! Keeping my fingers crossed that yours goes as easily. PM me with any questions.

PhotobucketPhotobucket

LVSissy08
on 9/24/08 2:02 pm - Las Vegas, NV
we share a surgeon!! i had my rny 5 weeks ago 8-19-18. I have my fingers crossed for you and a smooth approval process. the office staff is good at getting approval quickly
-Carrissa
jennaflirt
on 9/25/08 8:00 am - Las Vegas, NV
I went for my consultaion today.  I have a surgery date of Nov 3rd.  I just have to come up with $1062.00.  No pre op liquid diet.  Just no gaining weight.  They said up to 6 weeks for Cigna  approval.  They also said I had plenty of documentation for insurance.  Should be no problem.  So I afraid to get excited.  That being said...  I now need to begin getting prepared.  Any advice?
vany_pr_2000
on 9/29/08 8:46 am - Abilene , XX
Unfortunately I don't have Cigna as my insurance so I can't offer up any advice but I am also seeing the same doc for my lapband. I'm scheduled for November 3rd as of today. I was originally scheduled for 10/24 but was bumped back another week because they had already scheduled so many people for that date. Something didn't sit well with me getting my surgery on Halloween so I decided to set it back yet another week. My question is, what should I expect from this doc? I've only met him once and that was back in April at a seminar. His staff has been friendly and helpful with the exception of one person but that's a different matter. I guess, I'm at the point where I'm starting to get very very nervous and just want to hear other experiences with this doc...

jennaflirt
on 9/29/08 10:39 am - Las Vegas, NV
We have the same surgery date!!!  My cousin had Dr. Atkinson for her RNY 4 years ago.  I was her support person.  He is wonderful.  Very soft-spoken.  Really nice and comforting.  The office is like being a herd of cattle the way the send you through.  But they do great follow up and know their stuff.  I wish I could go in on Halloween..lol  When is your pre-op?

Highest/Current/Goal
263/118/138

was size 22
now size 4

-Mari-
on 9/29/08 12:51 pm, edited 10/2/08 9:28 am
Jenna,
Glad you said the herd of cattle thing. That is SOOO how I feel. I only saw the Dr at the seminar and my surgery is this Friday!!! I have to go to the pre-surgical thing this Wed.
 Mari  Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!
jennaflirt
on 9/29/08 1:54 pm - Las Vegas, NV
I don't even have a support person to come with me.  My cousin is my support but can't make 1-330, she has kids to get from school.  So I don't know what I am going to do.  No one said anything about the $250.  Or is that the admin fee they say insurance does not cover?  I have yet to hear anything about scale and shakes.  You do feel like cattle and that has not changed in 4yrs.  But Doc knows his stuff.  He is really great, very personal.  He will make you feel like you always knew him.  Keep me posted on what happens Wednesday.  Good Luck Friday.

Highest/Current/Goal
263/118/138

was size 22
now size 4

-Mari-
on 9/29/08 1:59 pm, edited 10/2/08 9:27 am
At least I know it's just not me, (cattle), I was feeling a little like a step child.
 Mari  Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!
jennaflirt
on 9/30/08 7:39 am - Las Vegas, NV
I called the surgeons office today and got some info.  There is a $250 fee everyone has to pay.  It includes a $100 admin fee and $150 for the protein shakes and scale.  The just call it $250 admin fee.   Hopefully that helps at least understand the fee.  I still don't know why you weren't told on day one at your consult. 

Highest/Current/Goal
263/118/138

was size 22
now size 4

Most Active