New

ErinAnita
on 3/20/08 2:10 pm
Hi, I am having surgery in one month, and we just set the date and of course now I'm ridiculously nervous.  Looking forward to it. What advice would you give me for those of you who have already had the surgery, that maybe you didn't know or wished you would have known before hand?  Anything would help. Thanks
mixedgirl33
on 3/21/08 9:01 am - Las Vegas, NV
Be prepared (not that you really can) for a super emotional ride.  If anything, you're hormone levels are going to go way up and way down...relationships with people and things will change, even if you make a promise to yourself that they won't...trust me, they will!  Don't feel guilty about the changes you will face, just let nature take it course.  It was tough (and still is) for me to get over the mental block that 4 bites would fill me up when you want so much more!  Get into good habits early, that way by the time your pouch is stretched out more, it's not back to the same struggles you had before the surgery.  Protien shakes and crystal light will taste horrible after surgery - but you'll get used to them.  Instead of chicken broth, i strained campbell's chicken noodle soup, so that I only had the broth left - it tastes much better!  For the first month or so, you're tounge will get a white coating on it, your breath will stink and there's nothing you can do about it!  LOL!  It's your body going into Ketosis - a sign that you're loosing weight, so welcome it!  There's all kinds of stuff that I was unprepared for.  I had an open RNY and it was hell trying to wipe myself the first time i had to go to the bathroom (you don't realize how many stomach muscles it takes to twist around!).  About a year after my surgery, i became a reactive hypoglycemic - it's diagnosed more than it was in the past, you can do some research on it if you see the symptoms after your surgery.  You'll never realize how many hidden valley ranch commercials or potato chip commercials there are until you can't eat anything crunchy!  The more you excercise, the easier life becomes.  That's all for now, but i'm an open book if you want to know more! -Debra Good luck!

Olivia Maylee Crofts - April 24th, 2008 7:20pm - 8 pounds 13.5 ounces
(deactivated member)
on 3/21/08 11:10 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
Hi, ErinAnita, I'd like to suggest that you read the Main Board--there's a lot of good information there. I know I spent the last few days before my surgery reading the Before & After forum--it really helped me to read the success stories of  others. Have you started adjusting your eating habits yet?  I began eating pre-op the way I knew I needed to eat post-op and that really helped. I started testing various protein powders (bariatriceating.com is a good place to start, as is GNC)  I still use the GNC Low Carb Dutch Chocolate every morning with a banana and my multivitamin for breakfast.  It really helps keep me from being hungry. I also started cutting out all white foods, ie  bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes.  I'm Diabetic II, so that really helped control my cravings.  I'd eat a good deli meat and cheese in a half-sandwich with an apple for lunch every day, and kept protein bars for a crunchy snack in the afternoon.   I'd eat a good meal for dinner--like I'd eat on Weigh****chers--and then use a protein bar or a single serving of popcorn if I wanted an evening snack.   Of course, lots of water and walking pre-op!  This really helped keep me focused on my goal. Find a good chewable vitamin--I've used Flintstones 2X daily, or the Centrum Chewables.  I also got the sublingual B12 tabs that are available at Trader Joe's.  They melt very quickly.  I still have some Calcium Citrate Creamy Chews left, but those are no longer made, so you'll need to find a good chewable Calcium CITRATE, not CARBONATE, to take every day as well.  I was told by my surgeon to use OTC Prilosec every morning, which helped to stave off the nausea which is not uncommon right after surgery.  Be sure to ask your surgeon what he wants you to take. A major problem is constipation post-op.  I use an OTC  stool softener which has really helped with that problem.  You might never really realize how important having an easy bowel movement is until you can't have one al all!! Be sure to visit the Main Board!  You can also email me if you have any further questions. Good luck!
DrLindsey
on 3/27/08 3:57 pm - Las Vegas, NV
The other replies to your post have been really great. I would echo what was said about relationships changing. The dynamics of relationships will typically change - usually for the better in that relationships that are unhealthy, unsupportive, or one-sided don't fare so well as you change and become healthier. The other thing I would add to that is to start thinking about how you are going to feel with a lot of attention and focus from other people. I have found that some people love this while others feel angry and resentful (e.g., why didn't you treat me like this before?). Think about your WLS as a head start. In the first few months it can be easy to float by and let the surgery to all the work. It is hard not to lose weight during the honeymoon period. But, that initial weight loss will slow down every month until eventually every pound lost will take some serious effort. So I advise you to be prepared to really maximized the first year after surgery. Use this time to practice setting healthy habits both in terms of eating and activity so that by the time the weight loss slows down you have all of the behaviors and the mindset to continue losing and MANAGE your weight long term (probably the hardest part!0. Take the protein recommendations seriously and do resistance exercises (swimming,yoga, weights, etc.). You DON't want to lose your muscle mass - that is your metabolic engine. I wish you the best. You are making a wonderful investment into the rest of your life :-)

Dr. Lindsey Ricciardi is a licensed clinical psychologist and member of OH's Mental Health Advisory Board. By posting, she makes no promises, guarantees, representations, or warranties, expressed or implied, and assumes no duty or liability with regard to the information contained herein. This post is not intended to diagnose or treat any condition. No professional services are being rendered and nothing is intended to provide such services or advice of any kind. No informational post can take the place of seeking professional help. If you need professional help, seek professional services or dial 911. For more info on Dr. Lindsey visit www.mindbodybariatrics.com.

robertwalker
on 4/25/08 1:49 pm - sparks, NV
Hello my husband just had surgery on 4-14-08. It has been the best thing he has ever done. The staff at St Mary's hospital are great. It was the best exp. we have ever had with a hospital. With 3 boys we have visited alot of hospitals. Dr.Sasse did his surgery and it went great. Got to the hospital at 6:30 in the morning and we were home by 4:30. He had lap band done. He just went to his follow up appointment and he is doing great. No problems at all. The only thing we can say is drink alot of fluids. It will help alot with your recovery.My husband was sore for 2 days and then we was back to work. Make sure to get up and walk around. The morning of the surgery my husband had already lost 37 pounds on the 1 month diet. He is now done 41 pounds. Don't be scared. You will do awesome. It is the best thing you will do for yourself. Keep me posted on your success with your surgery.
Most Active