SWCC Support Group

Genisis
on 1/2/08 7:26 am - NV
I was just wondering if anyone here attends the monthly support group meetings at the Surgical Weight Control Center.  I've been thinking about attending, and am curious as to what your experiences with the group have been like. What can I expect at the meetings? Are/were the meetings helpful to you? Thanks in advance for your input.

GigglyMarie
on 1/2/08 1:44 pm - Henderson, NV
I do! I normally attend the first Tuesday (RNY- Dr. Akinson) group. If you haven't been, I think you should definately try. If nothing else, you've already paid for it. I know for a lot of Dr. Atkinson's patients, it feels like the same thing over and over, but I get to see people going through the same things as me, and talk about all the things that concern me, and especially things that I don't feel comfortable talking about with non-WLS friends. It is a good re-inforcement for me. It keeps me on track. But it does seem to be the same issues each month.   I also attend the third Monday (emotional) Group, which, for me, is much more useful. It has the issues that I really am strugging with. It's from 12-1 pm, so it can be difficult to get to.   Dr. Segura is intense, I didn't care for her direct approach the first time I went. I left thinking "where does she get off..." But I thought about what she said and she was right, I have value everything she has said, and I think it has been very helpful! It has been the single best thing I have done since having the surgery! It's a much smaller group normal under 10 people, where first Tuesday is anout 40-50.  I think the group meetings are as helpful as you make them, they are not a one-on-one with the doctor. It is free medical advice, if you are concerned about something, feel free to ask, if you just want to know what others are facing, this is wonderful. I really enjoy keeping intouch with people and seeing their changes as well cheering them through their troubles.  There are some annoying moments, but I think overall, it is well worth it! Hope to see you there! 

GigglyMarie

Genisis
on 1/7/08 6:54 am - NV
Thank you for all of the wonderful information and insight. The more I think about it, the more I think that I'll start going to the meetings.  See ya there :-)

Most Active