110% Committed

Genisis
on 6/26/07 10:54 am - NV
I posted this on the main board too, so you may have already read it, but I wanted to post it here to because I thought it would be nice to get everybody actively posting on our state board. Hi , A little about me and where I'm at with the process.................. Well, after years of thinking about it, I am now FULLY commited to having wls!!! I have chosen a surgeon, went to his seminar, talked to his office staff and the insurance company about the requirements, and seen the doctor (recommended by the surgeon's office) to get started on my required 3 month pre-op diet.  I had my first visit with him on Friday and he put me on a 1,000 calorie a day diabetic diet.  Even though the surgeon's office, my new PCP, and the insurance rep have all said that I'm not required to lose any weight pre-op, I'm still going to do it! After all, this diet is preparing me for the types of foods I should be eating post-op anyway right?! Any suggestions about what else I should be doing right now to get prepared for my journey?
Karbear
on 6/27/07 6:25 pm - Las Vegas, NV
If you are going to start eating healthy I would join a gym and start working out. Get your body in the best shape possible before surgery. Plus once you start working out, your body will be more willing to want to eat healthy. This what my doctor told me before I  had my tummy tuck. Good luck.
Genisis
on 6/30/07 4:29 pm, edited 6/30/07 4:36 pm - NV
I have definitely began to make a conscious effort to become more active.  Unfortunately, I am not quite ready to join a gym, I have a lot of apprehension about the gym. I go into panic mode at the thought of walking into one. I know how silly that sounds considering that is where I need to be and there are trainers there that would be able to help me, but for some reason I can't get past my inital fear of the whispers and stares I know I will encounter.  It's been 6 years since I belonged to a gym because of things like that. But on a more positive note, I am walking almost every day and plan on gradually increasing the time I spend doing that.  I am also doing exercise videos three times a week and will increase that as I get more energy. Thank you so much for your input and support. 
Yvonne McCarthy
on 6/30/07 7:05 am - Plano, TX
YES! I'm lurking on your board because I'm coming to the Vegas event.  I am 6 years out and my first suggestion would be to use the first year to learn about finding new things to excite you.  This shifts your attention away from food.   I make food as boring as I can.  I see many women "play" that first year because they can eat for the first time in their lives without guilt.  I was one of those.  Fortunately I figured out a lot of stuff just in time! I had a lot of motivation for sure.  That's why I'm here.  That's why I come to the events.  I am just fortunate enough to get to video for OH this time.   I would be happy to help along the way if I can.  I found that paying it forward is the one thing that ensures my success in my journey. hugs, Y

Open RNY 3/30/01  260lbs - 130lbs Yvonne McCarthy, CLC. Health & Wellness Coach (full time volunteer). I am happy to help if I can. Visit www.bariatricgirl.com and see the Bariatric Girl blog!  Also check out my Facebook Bariatric Girl Page Photography site www.yvonnemccarthy.com     .„ø¤º°¨ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨„ø¤º°¨ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨

Genisis
on 6/30/07 4:36 pm, edited 6/30/07 4:37 pm - NV
First let me say that you look amazing.  I was reading your profile and I have to say that you are truly an inspiration.  I am so sad that I will be out of town at the time of the Vegas event, and won't have the opportunity to meet you in person. I agree with your suggestion too! I can't imagine not utilizing this tool its utmost potential.  I wouldn't want to do anything to jeopardize something so valuble.  It is my intent and my hope that I will be able to focus more on physical activities that I use to enjoy, and think of food as fuel for my body instead of using it as a crutch as I have for so many years now. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your insight with me.  It is greatly appreciated.
Most Active