you don't loose weight with lap band??

roseph
on 11/13/06 10:59 am
I am scheduled for lap band surgery and have talked to several people about this and I haven't heard anything very positive. My daughter had it done in October and has not lost much weight at all. She is very discouraged and I am wondering if anyone else has had trouble loosing on it.
work_n_prgrss
on 11/14/06 2:18 pm
Its common to lose a small amount of weight after surgery and before your first fill. However, some people dont lose much until after they have had a fill or two. October is when I had surgery as well and I am down 20lbs and love my band. I am following the Dr's orders to the letter though. The band is a marvelous tool, but requires education and retraining so its different than other weight loss surgeries where you do nothing and lose. I chose the band because I want the retraing and I want to deal with why I overeat. If your daughter follows the band guidelines she should lose steadily. No where does INAMED the makers of the band advise more than 1 to 2lbs a week weight loss. Which is good because that reduces the risk of having to have plastic surgery later. There are many many bandsters on the general lap band fourm have lost 100, to 200 pounds or more. So I would look in there periodically and ask questions or just read what others are asking. There are several health care professionals who post regularly.
Robin06
on 11/17/06 8:22 am - Fernley, NV
Hopefully this will help you a little...I just weighed for my 1st month post op and have lost 17 lbs. and 13.75 inches...Now I know it will not always be this much but I will tell you it did me good to see that...Take care, Robin
(deactivated member)
on 11/21/06 8:22 am - Yakima, WA
I hope you'll check out the lap band forum too. Lots of great 'losers' hang out there too Hover your mouse over the forums link up top and a pop up will open - click the link to Lap band.
Kilaani
on 11/24/06 11:01 am - Las Vegas, NV
I lost well in the beginning, but then my band leaked and over the next 7 years I regained all I had lost. I agree, the band is only a tool - it's easy to outsmart in some ways, too, when you're discouraged is like a double whammy. Most of us want to go to old behaviors when feeling down. I believe that the band also is more effective for those with not as much to lose. If you are a super super morbidly obese person like I was, the best surgery that I found for me was the DS. Took a lot of research to find it, though. Anyway, at 20 months out, I've lost 234lbs with 41lbs to go. Good luck in your research. I'm super glad to be rid of the band and the vomiting and the not being able to eat good foods while the bad foods slid right through.... but that was my own experience. Jill revision from band to DS 3/10/05 440/435/206/165 hw/sw/cw/gw -234lbs, 41lbs to go www.picturetrail.com/kilaani
Chaplain
on 12/5/06 9:25 pm - Panama City, FL
I checked into the lap band surgery and was going to do it, but my insurance company would only pay if I got the gastric bypass procedure done. I had it done on February 24, 2006 and have so far lost 150 pounds and had no ill effects from the surgery. You may want to check into the gastric bypass surgery.
Most Active