Kingley Health Update

frogger528
on 2/21/09 8:05 am
Hi,

I just had my nut and psych eval at Kingley Health today at Dr. Bertha's recommendation. I have to say that I was not overly impressed. I was there for like 3 hours. They did some kind of diagnostic testing but didn't bother to tell me what they were testing for or what the results of the testing were. Then I met with the nutritionist and the social worker. Both were fine but asked many of the same questions over and over again. I think their whole point - other than to send a letter to Dr. Bertha saying I qualify - is to get us to buy into their whole program and become a client. I kind of expected this going into it but was still annoyed that I was right. I don't need a  gym as I belong to one and own a treadmill of my own. I told them this but they offered their facility anyway. I don't need a behavioral counselor as I have a therapist I see regularly. I told them this and they tried to convince me that the counselor is more of a "coach" than a therapist. Well thank you but I don't need a "coach". The only one that made the least bit of sense was the nutritionist. I may choose to follow up with them for that. Especially since my insurance covers it but I was not ready to make any commitment today.

So for any of you who are going to Kingley just be on the look out for the fact that you will be approached to become a "client" of theirs long after the evals are over.

Hope this helps.

Frogger

StaceyNJ
on 2/21/09 9:01 am - Brick, NJ
Frogger i had the same issue...wanted me to join their facility....it was annoying I got threw it and it served its purpose...any follow up care in the means o fnutritioanl psych will be done closer to home...and covered by insurance....

Stacey

knailnhair
on 2/22/09 3:50 am - Milford, NJ
Thanks for all this information Frogger!!!  Good to know, glad I decided to pursue other avenues.  I had a fishy feeling about this place.
Kimi
Tom C.
on 2/22/09 4:17 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
 Just an FYI: I have found (from personal experience and other's) that most Nutritionists and/or Pysch's will ask the same questions, in various ways and/or times. I can only “assume" (and we call know we should never do that ) it's just to ensure your true motives why you want the operation. It not unlike being “drilled by a lawyer" - they want to see if you “slip up" :) !! OK I am waiting for Dr. Mike's rebuttal
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
DrMichaelSakowitz
on 2/22/09 4:43 am
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the invite.

My approach is two fold.

1.  I try and make sure that patients have realistic expectations of the proceedure.  That they understand what they are getting into and that they are prepared for the changes required.

2.  I'm more interested in helping them decide if they need additional supports; be in nutritional, exercise or psychological to succeed, rather than excluding them.  I hope it doesn't come across as a hard sell.

I you are a newbe please don't see you visit with the psychologist as advisarial, it should not be!

Dr Mike
Michael L. Sakowitz, Ph.D. is a psychologist (NJ 35SI00148700) and member of ObesityHelp's Mental Health Board.  By posting, he makes no promises, guarantees, representations, or warranties, expressed or implied, and assumes no duty or liability with regard to the information contained herein.  This post is not intended to diagnose or treat any physical or mental condition.  No professional services are being rendered and nothing is intended to provide such services or advice of any kind.  No website or informational post can take the place of seeking professional help.  If you need professional help of any kind, please seek the services of a professional or dial 911.
Tom C.
on 2/22/09 10:05 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Thanks Dr Mike for your wisdom and/or insight.

I appreciated the fact, and totally understood why, both the nutritionists and Pysch Doctor asked the “same sort of question" in different ways. They need to be assured the person is going into this operation for all the right reasons.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
bgaylz
on 4/15/09 1:44 pm, edited 4/16/09 12:46 pm

Hi Frogger

Thank You...Thank You...Thank You.................Kingley is the worst their only goal is $$$$$ I told them my employer has the gym for free,but they tried to push it on me anyway I also told them my insurance didn't cover a  psych a eval with their company, but they tried to push that on me also. I wish Dr.Bertha could have been a fly on the wall when they told me want they felt about WLS at that time they didn't know I was searching for a Bariatric surgeon I can go on and on about them.

Have a great day

frogger528
on 4/15/09 9:48 pm
Sorry you had such a bad experience with them too. I don't know why ALS switched to them. My DH had RNY back in 2007 and he had all his pre op done at The Program for Life in St. Claires Dover hospital. They were much more accomodating and professional than Kingley is. I plan to go there for their support groups and NUT info when needed. Hope you find another program/person who suits you better to help with follow up and post - op issues.

Take care,
Frogger

knailnhair
on 4/16/09 2:30 am - Milford, NJ
On April 15, 2009 at 8:44 PM Pacific Time, bgaylz wrote:

Hi Frogger

Thank You...Thank You...Thank You.................Kingley is the worst their only goal is $$$$$ I told them my employer has the gym for free,but they tried to pu**** on me anyway I also told them my insurance didn't cover a  psych a eval with their company, but they tried to push that on me also. I wish Dr.Bertha could have been a fly on the wall when they told me want they felt about WLS at that time they didn't know I was searching for a Bariatric surgeon I can go on and on about them.

Have a great day

Hi bgaylz....did you end up going to Kingley for your NUT eval?  God help you if you did and wrote a check for your service.....I used them and I told Jessica in Dr. Abkin's office how horrible they are. I won't go into it since I don't know if you used them or not....but if anyone asks me...I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THEM AT ALL!!!!

Good luck on your journey...

Kimi

Kimi
Everything happens for a reason..Just believe...

bgaylz
on 4/16/09 4:00 am
Hi Kimi

I used Dr Mike in Wayne, NJ I really enjoyed my visit with him.

Belinda
Most Active
Recent Topics