Southern Surgical vs. ECU (Greenville)

Aunt_DeeDee
on 1/15/08 9:58 am - Zebulon, NC
I"m a SS gal... Dr. MacD.  It's been a great smooth ride all the way. However, as for wasting my time at post-op visits, do not ge me started after TODAY!  Some might call what I did showing my ass there at the receptionist window, but I call it asking why it was almost 11:30 and I was STILL SITTING THERE for my 10:20 appointment.  Just TELL ME when I arrive that you're 1-2 hours behind, and not let me sit there for an hour plus before I have to come ASK you why I still sit there! That would be called common courtesy.  (It was obvious she was annoyed by it also.) When I was told it was because "we're backed up," I let them know that didn't fly with me due to the fact that our new friend posting here this afternoon and I were sitting there, BOTH WITH 10:20 appointment times... (guess they don't expect patients to become FRIENDS while waiting and compare appointment times) and another lady sitting by us with a 10:15 appointment time, all with Dr. MacD.  That is the NORM for me so far in my 3 post-op visits.  I had a NUT appt. scheduled at 11:30, which I had to call at 11:20 to say I wasn't going to make it.  Fortunately she could squeeze me in at 1:30.  (This also happened at my last visit... same situation).  And then once you get in a room, it's another 30-60 minute wait back there, for a 5 minute visit, if that.  It's ridiculous!  I'm going to start billing them for my time. When they call to make my next 3 month appt., I'm going to take a day with the FIRST appt. in the AM, so they can't use the "we're backed up" excuse.  If it weren't every time I would be so damn annoyed.  The woman asked if I wanted to rebook.  Ah, "NO... I drive over an hour to get here, and NO I do not want to rebook!"  OK, that felt good.  Carry on.

Wendy    
305/292/213/199   (Start/DOS/CURRENT/1st GOAL)

Darcie
on 1/15/08 10:24 am - Richlands, NC
Wendy
I learned real fast at any business it is best to get the FIRST appointment of the day. I always ask the reception for a day that has the earliest appointment at 8:00 when they open and I NEVER wait. The one and only time I had a appointment at 9:30 am had me waiting in the lobby for a long time and then waiting in a room for a long time. I talked to two other people who had 9:30s with Dr. Mann so there were three of us!! I also have to drive a hour and 20 minutes to get to G'Vegas so I dont have the pleasure of rebooking *some other day* I hate getting up so early to have to drive to G'Vegas but on the other hand I am done and Im the only one in the lobby at that hour.. but when I come out the lobby is packed full of all those double and triple booked appointments. That would be my only complaint about the office.. Book em early or FORGET IT.

Cinderellen
on 1/15/08 12:18 pm - Winterville, NC
Hi.  I would have to say that no matter who you go with, you're in great hands.  Drs. Chapman and MacDonald are some of the best in North Carolina, and in the country.  They are very very well known in their field.  Either of them are fine choices.  I know less about Dr. Naziri, Mann, and Pender, but I hear that they are very good as well.  One difference that I don't see anyone else mentioning is that SS charges a large upfront fee to attend your first visit.  That personally turned me off, but to each their own.  ECU didn't charge anything other than whatever co-pays you might have.  I went with ECU/Chapman because I felt it was in my best interest health-wise.  Although I feel I would have been in equally good hands with MacD.  The choice is yours, but if the upfront fee is not that large to you, it wouldn't hurt to go to both orientation sessions and preliminary appointments.  That way you can meet both of them and maybe one of the surgical teams will stand out as suiting your needs better.  Just a thought. As for me, I have absolutely no regrets in choosing Dr. Chapman, and am very glad I did.  He was excellent during all phases and continues to be very supportive of me.  His staff is wonderful and the care at PCMH was excellent.  I would highly recommend him. Take care and good luck with your decision. Ellen

Own it all, it's yours!

425/350/185/150  Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal

Darcie
on 1/16/08 5:43 am - Richlands, NC
I didnt get charged a large up front fee at Southern Surgical.. in fact I paid zero money from start to finish thanks to Tricare picking up the tab. Are you referring to the *orientation fee* to get started in the program? that was the only out of pocket expense I had.

Darcie

Cinderellen
on 1/16/08 7:55 am - Winterville, NC
I am referring to the 200 dollar orientation fee that I was quoted when I called there.  It's been a while, but I believe that it was 200 dollars.  Anyway, I've read and talked to others that have had to pay more upfront than you did.  I believe that it has something to do with what insurance you have and the fact that they are private practice instead of part of ECU. This isn't a dig at SS, as I said, I have heard and read that all of the SS docs are great.  I was just responding with some of the factors that influenced my decision.  You and I have both had very positive experiences with our doctors, we did well with our choices. Take care. Ellen

Own it all, it's yours!

425/350/185/150  Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal

slhoffman
on 1/15/08 9:35 pm - LaGrange, NC
Hey!  I had Southern Surgical, Dr. Naziri.  He is so wonderful.  I really recommend him.  He really has a good bedside manner and seems to care about his patients.  I really had a wonderful experience with all the staff there.  I wish you lots of luck!

Stacy  
346/306/216/150
highest/surgery/current/goal

amruby
on 1/15/08 11:59 pm - Spring Hope, NC

Dr. Naziri was my doctor.  I can't say enough kind things about him or Dr. McDonald.   I had my surgery at Nash General in Rocky Mount.  Dr. Naziri does surgery there every Thursday.   I have never had to wait for any of my appointments.  They schedule them after he is done in surgery.   Dr. McDonald and Dr. Mann do surgery at least once a month in Rocky Mount.  Nash General has a new Bariatric Weight Loss Center with a wing of the hospital dedicated to WLS patient's.  Very Nice! Contact Monica Poland, RN if you are interested in surgery in Rocky Mount--252-443-8000.  Ask for the Weight Loss Center.  Support Group meets first Tuesday of the month unless it falls on a holiday at 7:00 PM

spark
on 1/16/08 2:30 am - NC
Thanks everybody! I actually went to my regular Dr today for a lovely sinus infection and we spoke again about the Lap Band. She thinks it is a good option for me and after said it is would be well within reason for me to consider. It was nice to have someone from the "outside" to encourage me!
Aunt_DeeDee
on 1/16/08 9:06 am - Zebulon, NC
I paid either $200 or $250 (non-refundable nor put towards any future charges) at SS to get into the process.  That fee is NOT paid by insurance companies, at least that is what I was told.

Wendy    
305/292/213/199   (Start/DOS/CURRENT/1st GOAL)

Darcie
on 1/16/08 9:15 am - Richlands, NC
Aunt Dee Dee~
That is the only fee I had to pay for the entire surgery, and that is the only thing my insurance company would not pay..still $200 bucks for a $47K surgery is not bad!

Darcie

Most Active
Recent Topics
13 years and counting
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 659 views
Elizabeth City, NC
Vampy · 0 replies · 1712 views
12 years!
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 1373 views
Raleigh area doctors
ncgoaliemom · 0 replies · 1729 views
NC Forum