Any fellow CF members out there that had WLS? I'm full of questions in regards to the process

Armyguy1976
on 7/23/12 10:52 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 09/10/13
 Thx koko you have been a huge help .

Thanks to Scully for letting me peak inside the CF process

(deactivated member)
on 7/23/12 7:59 pm, edited 7/23/12 8:00 pm - Musquash, NB, Canada
VSG on 10/02/12
 Hey Patrick,

On the meantime, I suggest you get as much information as you can as to pre-op diet and you post OP restrictions. I am still Pre-Op but I have been waiting so long, I have had time to make better choices (i.e. cut out carbs, starches and I have introduced veggies, and that was very hard for me.) Also start an exercise program outside your regular PT, I have a Wii and do a Wii Active 2 workout everyday, I started with beginner and as large as I am now, I am able to do intermediate. I break a fierce sweat and burn about 300 calories (if not more) per workout. Make small changes now.... I say small I mean small, because I tried to make a lot of changes and abandonned that as it felt futile. One thing at a time, it will make the transition from the you that you are now, into an even better you.

P.S. I don't feel deprived, I am able to enjoy fruit as my 'sweet treat' and I don't miss candy/sweets. If you want a crunch, stay away from chips, I eat almonds, or popcorn or anything else that you feel the need to satisfy your craving. Also one more thing... I eat ALOT now, or so it feels. I used to skip breaky and lunch and only eat supper. If you do this, start eating about every two to three hours.... not large meals. I have suggestions if you want some. I have a long way to go myself... but wanting a quick fix is nothing if you can't follow through with changing some habits. That was the hardest for me... and I am not done trying to perfect my pre-op eating. 

Oh and if you enjoy pop, start weaning yourself off of it now... because it is definteiy a no-no post op. Not even diet. It will stretch your pouch and gives you no real nutrient value.
Armyguy1976
on 7/25/12 12:30 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 09/10/13
 Morning  Danielle

Just wanted to update on my internist apointment in Ottawa yesterday . 

Happy to report she thought I was a perfect candiate, she approved me 100% and while it will take her up to 2 weeks to compile and submit her reccomendation the next step is the request fwded to Blue Cross and my meeting with the surgeon of there choice. 

I'm still 110% committed to DS but I need to start accepting the fact that the military will be pushing RNY. I offered to self pay in Mexico but the military won't support out of country surgery. 

Here's hoping I can push the timeline forward from this point. Really want my surgery before Xmas to allow myself to recover before my posting in 2013. 

Please thank Scully for his time and info and i look forward to his response from a private message i sent him yesterday!
(deactivated member)
on 7/25/12 2:01 am - Musquash, NB, Canada
VSG on 10/02/12
Goodmorning Patrick,

This is awesome news, and I am so glad for you. This is a huge first step.

When I talk to Scully next I will tell him you sent him a personal message if he has not already received it. I initially wanted the DS too, but I am going for the VSG. The lap band is not a choice I wanted EVER, I have seen many people not succeed, mainly because my friends mindset was get a quick fix, and then get it removed, they were not committed to making any of the changes. I am sad to say all the friends I have known to have lap band, have lost a lot of weight and regained it all plus some, it really was a sad thing to watch. It was also not a good thing to watch them eat more fattening food thinking the band will fix it all. These were not the typical lap band patients BTW, many Lap Bands have done wonderfully and succeeded quite nicely, but you have to make the changes and be committed to them first and foremost. Surgery is only a tool, you must meet your responsibilities too. At least that is what I kept telling myself until I am finally committed to eating properly and exercising daily, no matter how tired, lazy, I am, and OH how I can talk myself out of exercise... but I drag myself.... I feel better for it.

VSG eventually can be migrated to an RNY when weight loss stalls. I am very obese, and this is something that is to be expected, although I will do what I can just to make the VSG my last one. 

I was considering Mexico at one point myself, not anymore, I am in the home stretch here and hoping to have my operatiion in the next month or two *fingers crossed*. Now that you have doctors approval, it should go quickly for you. Private pay is the quickest way to go, sad but true.
scully69
on 7/31/12 1:46 pm
sorry for taking so long to reply iam on op nanook in inuvik right now . i did send a reply  try this web site and look it over www. weight lost surgery.ca  i think they will pay for  DS  but i know they wont pay for the band.
(deactivated member)
on 8/8/12 11:23 am - Saint Antoine, Canada
Hey Armyguy1976,
Just wanted to let you know that you can self pay with Dr. Christou in Montreal. I had the VSG on March 13, 2012. It only took 6  weeks from submitting paperwork to surgery. I have absolutely no regrets. I don't think he does DS, but he does the RNY and VSG. Going to Montreal would definetly solve your out of country dilema. Heres a link to Dr. Christou's site http://www.weightlosssurgery.ca
Good luck with whatever you choose.
Lisa
Most Active
Recent Topics
Revision to sleeve
KL_Girl · 1 replies · 1178 views
Removal scheduled for tomorrow
Krista C. · 2 replies · 2080 views
DS - 5.5 years after the Sleeve
Henry M. · 1 replies · 1880 views
Facebook page
Raisin_girl · 5 replies · 1908 views