Where to Get Started?

bethypoo
on 9/27/11 10:31 am - Canada
So I hope everyone can follow this...

About a year ago, I went for a yearly physical and the doctor I had suggested I get into a weight loss program, the one at St. Bonifice hospital I think is what he said. I never heard anything back and unfortunately the doctor retired shortly after that. 

So fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, I went back to a new doctor and asked what had happened and if they ever heard anything back from the program. In my file there was a letter saying I was not accepted and that they weren't taking any new clients but they encouraged to keep applying(just paraphrasing). Well, my new doctor said not to worry about that now and told me to wait until I got better from what I initially went and saw her about. I am all better now...

So my question to you is, what should I do, where do I start, how do I get the ball rolling and what other programs are there out there? Am I able to go to out of province? Is there anywhere online that shows all the programs offered, I can't seem to find anything.

I don't even know where to start so any advice would be much appreciated.
Karenerickson
on 9/27/11 12:01 pm - Portage La Prairie, Canada
I was refused for Winnipeg as my BMI was too high so I have looked into a few different programs. I was intially referred to Edmonton but was overwhelmed by their process of being accepted and decided I didn't want to do all the work they required  for almost 3 years to maybe being accepted.
I phoned Medicine Hat and was told that by the time my name came up (3 years) I would be over 50 which is their age limit, so I could apply but I would with certainly be turned down.

So my last place was Regina and I received a call saying they had my referral and not to expect to hear from them for close to a year. I am really hoping this will pan out for me.

I went through the different provinces forums to find out info and some of the ladies here have gone out of province and gave me info.

I hope you find something that works for you...

Karen
bethypoo
on 9/27/11 1:17 pm - Canada
 Thanks for replying Karen.

Is there more than one office I can apply to? I don't really know of any and I can't find any by searching online.

Also, there has been a lot of talk about criteria for the program in Manitoba, it clearly states on the Saskatchewan website however I can't find it anywhere. What is the BMI range?

Thanks!
jamaicandane
on 9/28/11 6:03 am
 The criteria in Manitoba is:
- women only
- under age 55
- BMI range 40-47

You have to be referred by your GP. Call his office at 
235-3636 (that's a general line) and ask for Andrea. She knows everything

RNY: 25 Mar 13  HW: 328 lb SW: 288

bethypoo
on 9/28/11 10:46 am - Canada
 Thanks for the reply however that sucks for me as my BMI is higher. Wow, that feeling really sucks that I am too overweight for a program to help the overweight.

Has anyone tried to get into Saskatchewan's clinic from this province, I know they offer more of a range in terms of a BMI. Any luck getting referred?

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it.

And thanks for the number, I might give her a call and ask her about it anyway, at least now I know who everyone is talking about when they said they are talking to Andrea. LOL
Karenerickson
on 9/28/11 12:07 pm - Portage La Prairie, Canada
I had my Dr refer me to Regina, here is the number is you want some info

1-306-766-7578 or try googling Qu'appelle Health Region and they have a page on WLS.Then look under programs and services for Bariatric Surgical Assessment.  I found the receptionist very pleasant when phoned more than once to see if my referral arrived. She even phoned to say they got it.

Hope you can use this info.

Karen
Most Active