Stupid Cereal addiction

carriesb
on 10/11/11 3:13 pm
I had my band on Feb 16th and have lost 90 lbs now but still have a long way to go. I have a hard time getting down fruit and Veggies and became really constipated sorry for the info but I started eating cereal to get more fiber but I can't seem to control myself I will measure some out but still want more and can't seem to stop? And it's stuff like cheerios and shredded wheat so not even sweet. I have cereal in the house for my Daughter. Any suggestions on how to get the Cereal addiction to stop? Thanks for any help.

thindownunder01
on 10/11/11 11:42 pm - Kingwood, TX
I have been told that cereal with milk turns in to a slider food, and maybe its not satisfying your hunger. Thats probably why you cant get enough.

I loved my cereal before surgery but stay away from it now for that reason. I too have the hard time going potty, and take a mild stool softener every day.. that helps.

Good luck!

BANDED 4/4/11 STARTING WEIGHT 243
steelerfan1
on 10/11/11 11:49 pm
I love cereal , I get so tired of eating eggs in the morning so a good bowl of cereal yum .

Have you tried the Kellogg's Fiber One with antioxidants ?  It's really good and full of fiber it will keep your belly full longer or at least it does mine.

I love cheerios to but it will only keep me full for a hour maybe two but the fiber cereal keeps me full longer and it will help with your constipation .

It comes in many flavors I love the Cinnamon one and the yogurt one delish .  I eat it a couple days a week :o)

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

1queenbee3
on 10/12/11 2:30 am - Columbia, MD
If I overeat on something I have to take it out of the house...but that's me.  My children love cereal too, but I make homemade oatmeal instead and add fruit or raisins to it.  My kids have also discovered the fun of make omelette's.  We add so many different types of ingredients and it's healthier for the whole family. 

Highest Weight--Surgery Weight--Current Weight--Goal
                                                    282                  231                170.3            135

Hermosa L
on 10/12/11 2:56 am
I get Kashi GO lean (original) and it's 1 cup a serving and believe me if you eat 2 servings YOU WILL SURELY REGRET IT.

The fiber is through the roof!!

To make my cereal fulling without too much calories is Kashi Go Lean 140 calories 13 grams of protein and Fiber is 10 grams blows Cheerios out of the water tho I do eat it on the occasion.
1/2 of a small banana and 1 cup of Blue Diamond unsweetned vanilla almond milk 40 calories Very Filling Cereal for approx 250 calories good amount of protein and load of fiber..
harmony9975
on 10/12/11 6:08 am

All refined carbs like cereal are my enemy---one taste and by body wants more.  I take a fiber supplement to keep things moving.  Rarely do I do a bit of cereal with yogurt ---when I want some crunch.
Best wishes

Lisa O.
on 10/12/11 7:52 am - Snoqualmie, WA
I think cereal is o.k. if you can control the portion size.  I have a terrible habit of adding cereal until the milk is gone! So no, I don't eat cereal except for oatmeal.  I will say, if you can control the portion it's not bad.  However, you need to look at the sugar content even in cereals that seem healthy.  Try to find a cereal with 5g or less sugar.  It's not easy!  There are hidden sugars in many of the varities that are labeled healthy, whole grain, etc.  If sugar is listed within the top 3 ingredients avoid it.  It will only contribute to carb cravings and make you want more!

Best~
Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

carriesb
on 10/12/11 10:59 am
Thanks so much for the advice. I'm going to give the high fiber cereal a try I have some Kashi go lean and see how that goes. I can't really do oatmeal for some reason it makes my blood sugar dive which is weird most people do well with it. I will just have to start measuring and allow my daughter the cheerios but not use them myself. She is two and a half so the fiber cereal is a bit much for her. Thanks again.

Cheryl N.
on 10/13/11 12:37 am - Des Moines, WA
Cereal and milk are like food and liquid together, at least for me, I tried that a few months after being banded and it came right back up and I have never attempted it again.   It's a good thing, I guess especially that cereals are expensive!

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Pickles123
on 10/13/11 2:58 am
Ceral works as a slidder food for me.  I wi**** didn't.  I would love the Kashi, soy milk and banana.  That is a great meal with protein and fiber.  Lisa, how early in the day can you eat this?

I can't eat very early in the day.  Usually my first meal is 9:30-10:00 and Greek Yougurt with some fruit.  Some how not a slider.

Try and eat eggs as someone else mentioned.  You can get a lot of protein from them.  If I don't get protein from each meal I can't get all my protein in.

Have you been counting your protein?  If not maybe you can start and that would help to see the cherrios are lacking in that respect.  My husband eats whole wheat cheerios and they provide 3 grams of protein but 17 grams of carbs.  That is a bad trade off for me.

You have done a great job, 90 lbs.  Just change it up a little bit.

Keep up the good work.
Most Active