Esophageal Dilation

Fredannah
on 3/3/15 1:14 am

I was banded seven years ago and lost about 80 pounds. Three years ago because I started to have a lot of nausea, I went to see my GI GUY who did some upper gi tests and told me to call my bariatric surgeon. When I did he said that his bands do not slip. He ordered a second round of gi tests, after which he said that my band had repositioned itself.(I chose not to ask the difference between that and slippage.) He replaces the band and fixed a vital hernia. The good news is that I lost more weight. The total over the last 7years is 100 pounds. I'm a pretty normal weight. I've never had a fill.

The band news is that I've had nausea and vomiting almost since I got the new band. My old  bariatric guy said not to worry, it would vet better. Instead it got worse. Went to my GIwho ordered all the tests gain. He says that the band is in good position,but I have Barretts and my esophagus is expanded. I am going to new bariatric guy because the old one isn't a team player and I want all of my doctors to be willing to work together.

Anyway, I am told that my esophagus dilated and so the food pools at the bottom, then backs up to the top of my throat. I can feel it there and I often barf. The new bariatric guy says that if it doesn't improve by June, the band will have to come out. Because of my age and because I'm not obese, my insurance won't pay for a bypass or a sleeve. After reading some of the posts here, I am going to start two weeks of liquids only. I'll start next week so I won't waste the good food in my fridge. Fortunately, I just got a shipment of Unjury.

I guess this post has turned into a long whine, but I'm pretty nervous. I love wearing size 12/14 clothes instead of size 24/26. I'll do what I can to keep the band, but if it has to go--it'll have to go.

Nic M
on 3/3/15 3:23 am

Do you mean, "hiatal hernia?" I've never heard of such a thing as a "vital hernia." 

If you're having nausea and vomiting, something is wrong. Having gone through extreme complications, I would highly recommend getting the band removed before your esophagus is more damaged. I'm sorry you're going through it. I hope you'll be okay. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

mommy2318
on 4/20/10 11:14 am
Thanks to all of you.  I'm really stressed that I'm gonna lose my band.  I'm completely unfilled and have pain still from time to time.  Thankfully, it's not nearly as bad but still rather uncomfortable.  My esophagus has probably been dilated for some time.  I had it filled in October and started having pain shortly after and kept complaining to the doctor (who ended up going on maternity leave for 3 months during all of this with no one to cover her patients).  Around the end of November, I was still having pain but began to feel like I needed a fill. It wasn't until March that she finally repeated an Upper GI and found the dilation and we began unfilling my band.  Makes me very upset to think that maybe it could have been caught earlier.  Now, I have to struggle to not gain weight (which I have gained 10) and worry about whether I'm gonna need another surgery or something.  Thanks again to all of you for your info.

Most Active