Esophageal Dilation

mommy2318
on 4/19/10 12:23 pm
Wondering if anyone has had a dilated esophagus due to an overtight band.  Found out last month that my esophagus is very dilated and that was causing the intense pain in my chest, back, ribs and jaw.  I've now had it unfilled and they are saying it may need to come out.  Just wanted to know if anyone else has had this and what the outcome was.  Thanks.  :(

Mom2TwinsPlusOne
on 4/19/10 12:41 pm
Yep.  And its coming out.  Only question is whether I get a new one put back where its supposed to go, or a sleeve.

mommy2318
on 4/20/10 11:07 am
Won't the sleeve cause the same problem??  Doc told me it's the pressure from the appliance that's causing the problem.

pineview01
on 2/13/13 4:59 am - Davison, MI

That is why the sleeve doesn't do it.  There is no appliance to cause it.  The sleeve is so different.  It is all natural.  Works going in and out the same way as always, naturally.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Nic M
on 4/19/10 1:17 pm
I think it's pretty common. I've seen it over and over since 2003. I had the same problem and I feel for you...It IS really painful!

If your doctor is recommending band removal, I'd definitely do that. I learned the hard way that it won't just "fix itself." It gets worse.

Good luck. I hope you'll feel better soon.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Nikki M.
on 4/19/10 1:31 pm
I had a dilation back in 2008. They took most of the fluid out for a couple of months and it corrected itself. However, when they started putting the fluid back in I felt the same symptoms! I am just now starting to fill my band for a third time and I'm only at 2.5 cc's. I would do the sleeve in a heartbeat if my insurance paid for it!

Lapband 8/2007. Revised to VSG 10/2010.... 170 pounds lost!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Gemig729
on 3/22/18 5:22 pm

Nikki,

I'm wondering if you still have your band. Currently im going through the sAme problems you were here in 2019. If possible can you drop me a email. Thanks in advance

Garilyn.

mommy2318
on 4/20/10 11:08 am

Did you get banded again or convert to something else?

Guernica Loser
on 4/19/10 4:18 pm
I am so sorry this happened to all of you.  Personally, if this happened to me, I would go to a different doctor and have a different surgery. 

Hugs to all of you :(  it's not fair.  It probably took all of your might to do the surgery and then you had to suffer through this.
I've been on prednisone and chemo for over 7.5 years.  Gained over 160 pounds due to pred. Highest wt. 410. Surgery wt. 365. Current wt. 299
See ya,400s, 90s,80s,70s, 60s, 50s, 40s, 30s, 20s, 10s 300s!!!!  

sknd34
on 4/20/10 4:12 am - West Fargo, ND
I had a dilated esophagus from an overtight band that resulted in a slipped band. It was so bad that i broke all of my original surgical sutures. I ended up with emergency surgery to repair the band. I had an esophagram the following morning after surgery and they said that the esophagus has returned to normal. We are now going through the refill process . I have noticed that I am extremely sensitive to the refills since this has happened. Best of luck.
Most Active