Anyone know whats goin on with Dr Husted in Somerset?

(deactivated member)
on 3/9/10 2:59 pm - Williamsburg, KY
Dr Husted???   I have had all of my paperwork submitted to his office for about three weeks now. Was told by Carol that Ellen would submit to my insurance. Ive called several times in the last two weeks only to get the answering machine. I have left numerous messages but no one returns my call. I did speak to the Commonwealth Bariatric Center who told me that Dr Husted had moved offices but wasnt able to give me a new number or any additional info. Does anyone have anything else to add? I would appreciate the info. Just wondering if I should start looking elsewhere for a surgeon.
THANKS
Ruggs
on 3/9/10 8:00 pm - KY
I received a change of address from Dr. Husted here is the updated information. I hope it helps

214 E. Mount Vernon Street
Somerset,KY 42501
(415) 722-3692
(484) 727-3692 (FAX)

(deactivated member)
on 3/10/10 1:26 am - Williamsburg, KY
Thanks for the info. I have left messages at that number as well. Hope someone calls me back soon.
(deactivated member)
on 3/10/10 6:06 am
(deactivated member)
on 3/10/10 10:40 am - Williamsburg, KY
WOW! That's all I can think to say after reading your post. I appreciate all of the information that you shared. I too received a letter today from Dr Husted. Basically it stated this:
Dear Patient,
I am not currently scheduling bariatric operations in Somerset due to the hospital's new policy on limits of bariatric surgery. I will be looking for a resolution to this problem and may have an update on this within a few weeks. I should be posting an update on my website xxxxxxxxx

If you would rather not wait, your pre-op records can be picked up at my new office address in downtown Somerset, which is shown above. The best days to pick up in March are Tuesday March 6, and Tuesday March 23. For other days, call the number above to schedule a pick-up time.

Hopefully this should not create too much of a delay in your surgery.

Kindest Regards,

John Husted MD

I am just stunned. I spoke to their office three weeks ago and updated my contact information. Have been trying to contact them again ever since with no luck. I received the letter today which was addressed to my old address and had been forwarded on to me. I have lost confidence with Dr. Husted and his staff. The lack of communication has been stressing. I will be calling Georgetown Bariatrics in the morning. I hate to put this on hold for several more months as I know Georgetowns process is quite slow but I dont have any other choice. Thanks again
brendagold
on 3/10/10 11:57 am - Goshen, OH
I don't know anything about Dr.Husted or his practice, but I would like to chime in.  I know several surgeons and I was very active with Dr. Sonnanstine's support group and classes when he was in NKy. before Georgetown. I know the reasons he left, I can assure it was not patient related other than the fact he had many disagreements with the facility that they just could not come to tems.  Dr. Sonnanstine is very dedicated to patient care.  If any one or anything steps between, he will fight it.  He just felt it was in the best interest of the patients, his family and him to move on, BUT, he did not want leave his patients and the reason he only moved from NKY to Gtown.
I also want to address the "success rate".  as well as public information.  You can thank lawyers and government for strict laws prohibiting information from the public.  It's to protect that privacy that records are not for view..but you are right, ..at least I know in Ohio you can go to a website that gives you information about malpractice, etc....However, this information does not give you
all of the information  For example.  Dr. Sonnanstine does take pts over a particular BMI..many of those patients were sent away from other facilities because of their high risk, which may include heart disease, diabetes, ..lung disease, etc..etc.etc.  all considered high risk with complications even before the surgery...high risk doctors are certainly going to have a higher complication rate that those surgeons who only perform on low BMI,  medium weight, and less co morbidiies.  so to compare those docs would not be possible without those facts at hand.
I only am siting this and Dr. Sonnanstine's name because I know him and his practice well.  But this could also be the case of Dr. Husted.  Again, I don't know him or his practice to know why he has made a change.  It does become frustrating to the patients.  I know, I haven't seen my own personal surgeon since 3 months out..that was 6 yrs ago!!!!
Dr. Sonnanstine is my surgeon, he placed the band in my husband over a year ago..he took care of me after a disastrous plastic surgery by another surgeon (something many other docs would never do is take over a case)...he feels that all patients deserve the chance to have this surgery and a second chance at a new life...today if I were getting ready for this surgery.most of the bariatric surgeons I know would turn me down because of my diabetes and high blood pressure not to mention my kidney failure in the past.  Had I not had this surgery I would be dead today.  I believe in doctors who will give us that chance...if and only if the patient is well informed and educated by that center first...
trust you instincts and do what is best for you..educate yourself and talk to those docs..make appts.  you can see most one on one first before making that decision...you will know when it's right..
I am so sorry you all are going through this change...been there and done that..fortunately for me it happened as I am now in the hands of a capable and dedicated surgeon..
my computer is not working well...sooo many delays.  sorry if it's not the best post.
thanks
Brenda
(deactivated member)
on 3/10/10 12:21 pm - Williamsburg, KY
I appreciate you sharing that info. Thanks!
Katrina B.
on 3/11/10 9:45 am - Prestonsburg, KY
Don't lose faith in Dr. Husted. He is an amazing surgeon. It sounds like he is having an issue with the hospital itself and is trying to come to a reasonable agreement with them. The only thing I never understood about his practice is that he has his own staff and his practice has a staff too; which kind of makes things confusing, especially when you don't know who to deal with.

If it doesn't work out with Dr. Husted, I hope you are able to move forward with another surgeon.

Good Luck!
(deactivated member)
on 3/11/10 1:18 pm
wonderwomanof4
on 3/10/10 8:05 pm - Franklin, OH
If I heard something like this information come out of my doctors mouth (or staff) about other practices, I would run the other way.  Very political statement.  using pts as their tool to win the most votes. 
I have worked for doctors.  The good ones NEVER give information about success rates to patients.  Why not just jump up and down yelling.  "pick me, pick me"  goodness!
Most Active
Recent Topics
ARH Hazard and Dr Kabir Mehta
Erica A. · 0 replies · 202 views
Dr. Ravi Alapati
cpinckard63 · 0 replies · 1419 views
Paducah, Ky
devonnec · 0 replies · 5239 views